Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard won't recognize hard drive? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishz

Technical User
Apr 21, 2007
US

My friend has a ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X REV 1.xx and installed his hard drive which I believe he said is a 160 Gig, but the computer won't boot up with it, it just keeps restarting. Does anyone know why? or what he can do so he can use his hard drive, since most of his stuff is on it!

First of all, you cannot expect the PC to boot to this drive. Windows needs specific info on the exact hardware you are using. If there is an existing hard disk in place, make sure your drive is jumpered to Slave and the other to Master if IDE, if SATA make sure the other drive is first in the boot order in BIOS.

If you want to boot with this drive, install it, boot to Windows CD and do a repair install (second repair option) so the OS can discover and address the new hardware.

Tony

Thank you Wahnula. I'll let him know :)

My friend hasn't had time until now and says he doesn't know what the adminstrative password is so the os can recognize the hard drive. Would anyone know what it might be or what else he can do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back