Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MotherBoard Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foordy

Technical User
Jun 3, 2002
AU
I have an ASUS motherboard, and I am not sure if it ever worked, but my motherboard fan is not working after opening it up and checking.
I receive a temp of 41celcius, which I don't think is so good.
The highest it gets is 41celcius, and it stays on it and hasn't changed so far.
Is 41 ok, why has my motherboard fan stopped, I only noticed when I opened my comp and checked fans when I replaced my CPU fan.
Foordy.

MORE INFORMATION!!!!

Temperature depends on your hardware configuration.
But 41C is pretty damn cooooool for CPU temp, just as an example I build lots of systems with differant motherboards and setups, I would say an Athlon XP2.0+ idles around the 48C mark generally, and a few degrees cooler for 1.7/1.8+ at around 42-46C approx, where as a XP2.1+ Palomino idles around 50C, of course this depends greatly on the room temp that the PC is operating in. (In the UK, room temp approx 22C)

Again I can only guess that you are talking about the Northbridge chipset fan on your motherboard, these fans are a pain, they often seize up and require periodic removal, then clean up and lube with thin grade oil.
Just revove the sticker from the reverse of the fan and apply a couple of drops of light oil, use a Qtip or similar to thoroughly remove all dust build up in the fan.
Make sure the fan is spinning freely before refitting.
Martin
Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

From reading my ASUS manual, I see under Specifications :
North Bridge System Chipset
and
"Super South" South Bridge System PCIset

I am sure the normal temp is around 20s celcius, right?
Is it doing damage at 42celcius (now 42 after a day of uptime), and also is it definately needed for this fan to be running?
Also 1 more thing, why are they so faulty?

I think that there is a little confushion here, the two temperature readings are usually:
CPU (main processor, Celeron, P4, Duron, Athlon etc)
and
Case temperature or mainboard temp, (this reading usually comes from a surface mounted sensor probe often located below the last PCI slot).
I have never seen temperature readings for North or southbridge chips unless an additional temperature probe is used.
What you find is manufactures adopt differant cooling methods ie: passive (just a heatsink) and active (heatsink AND fan) The active type "with fan" employs a SMALLER heatsink so the fan MUST work to cool adequately unless you replace it for a larger PASSIVE type heatsink.
A company called Zalman offer a large PASSIVE type replacement for silent operation.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

MB temp. It says so in "Hardware Sensors Monitor" program I have and also in my BIOS.

42 celcius for the motherboard isn't that high.
My ASUS A7V8X is usually around 39 celcius and my
processor(AMD ATHLON XP 2400+) around 42 celcius.
You say you're motherboard fan is dead. I never knew a motherboard had a fan. I only know the CPU, AGP card, PC case and the power supply have a fan. If the fan of your cpu is dead then I'd advice you to get a new one.

I just replaced my CPU fan to one with also a heatsink, as it gets hot here in Australia.
I am actually talking about my motherboard, which also has a fan to it, and it is a small fan called "ARX CPU COOLER".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back