Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard SWAP?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax2

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
Hi there.
I have an Intel Motherboard with an Intel PIII and just came upon an (unknown vendor) motherboard with a much faster Athlon on it and want to swap it with my current board. I run Windows 2000.... will it work if I just swap it? Sorry for lack of exact info... and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks....

You will have better luck if you plan to do a clean install of windows.

Much debated but my opinion is also to clean install.
I have tried numerous times in the past using several techniques (as recommended by others on this forum) but honestly havn't had much success (always seems to be some sort of issue with major platform changes) back up and clean install, you'll be glad you did in the long term.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Windows 2000 and XP HATE changes of motherboard unless they are very similar in terms of chipsets etc... You will almost definitely get a blue screen and require at least a recovery install of your system. A clean install would be my vote - its not too tedious when you can prepare for it beforehand (as opposed to having a hardware failure)!!

Peter G

Two weeks in Crete, Oh! I missed U guys!! NOT! :)

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back