Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuanRa

Technical User
May 17, 2000
US
I am thinking of upgrading to an AMD k6-2 500MHz  or 550MHz and I was wondering which motherboard worked best with these processors.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I'm running a SOCKET 7 and consider it as fine as is available,  The AMD'S like it and perform as a unit with it.

um, Socket 7 is a platform, not a motherboard, all K6s use Socket7 platform, ( I think erlier used Socket5) best motherboard mentioned for the K6-2 series was a FIC motherboard, think it was SD-11. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Hi!<br><br>There are many Socket 7 motherboards on the market.&nbsp;&nbsp;But the motherboards you might want to consider for use of the AMD K6 processor is ASUS, FIC and Tyan.&nbsp;&nbsp;We use those exclusively in the manufacture process of our computer systems, for sale,&nbsp;&nbsp;to the general public.&nbsp;&nbsp;Not because we get anything back from those companies for using their boards, but because they are the best in the industry for quality.&nbsp;&nbsp;We get a very low technical response as a whole from our customers because, their new computers last a very long time and in our research has indicated that the motherboard quality is the main reason for that.<br><br>Good Luck in your purchase considerations!<br><br>Gil<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new">

I would have to agree with Gil60 on the suggestion of an ASUS board. Even though i dont use an AMD processor the overall performance of the board is great. I went from a celeron 533 to a pII 500 and all i needed to do was remove the adaptor card on the celeron chip that made it slot 1 compliant. Very versitile boards..lots of pci slots and an agp slot as well

Athlough I would beg to differ, that depending on now days, the chipsets can make a big difference between board manufactuers, like the aSUS board that rebelstorm used probally had a very good chipset for intel based CPUs, however might not have an equally good for AMD (even though Asus would be good, since it is one of the majorly respected names for motherboards), but just as I was saying depends on the chipsets used on the board. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

this is the board I meant, my bad<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back