Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

motherboard recommended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephir0th

Programmer
Dec 19, 2003
AR
Hi all
i am planning to buy an athlon xp 2400 or 2500, and i don´t quite know which motherboards are best suit to this kind of proccessor. I intend to use 512 or so ddr 400 (kingston if possible), an agp 8x card (in the future), and would like to have a mobo that has good performance
i was thinking of maybe an asus or an epox, but i know little about which model is best to fit my needs
well, i will stay in tune for the answer from the experts. thanks a lot

Gigabyte GA-7NNXP

One of the best mobo's and you can pick them up reasonably priced, and it is upgradable to specs highr than you are asking.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Be sure the AGP slot on the new board supports your present AGP card, some boards are 8X only at .8 to 1.5V, won't work with older cards at 3.3V.

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L with an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1024MB of Crucial RAM at 333MHz and an ATi Radeon 9200SE AGP 8X card. Maybe not the ultimate in speed but quite stable with WinXP Pro.

thanks for the tip, and for the advice
i have a very old geforce2 mx200 now, i have to check out that the mobo supports it first cause i will buy a better one but later on

I would research which mobo's amd recommends for use with those particular processor. I think there are recommendations on their website.

if you want good quality use ASUS if you want fairly cheap but easy to use and nice features, use a epox or FIC

sephir0th
I have the Gigabyte GA7NNXP mentioned but it is expensive, the GA7-400N pro2 is a better option, it doesn't have the dual power riser card but does have everthing else and costs considerably less.

Gigabyte GA7-400N pro2
MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR
Asus A7N8X- Deluxe
Epox EP-8RDA3+

All above are based on the fastest Socket A flatform chipset (the Nforce2 400) and are top of the range models with Raid, SATA, Lan, 8X AGP plus much more.

You wouldn't go far wrong with any of the above, all will work with the XP2.4+ and XP2.5+ (the later is a better choice by the way) having 512kb of level2 cache.
All will work with the Kingston PC3200 (DDR400) ram.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

thanks all that answered!!!!
hey what about this one?
asus A7N8X-X (normal, not deluxe)

All the boards listed are good boards that you will be happy with. Myself, I have a 2500+ with an ASRock K7S8XE+ motherboard & I like it, for really cheap you get a solid board with 400fsb support & SATA raid support.

MSI has a very nice KT600 board with SATA support for cheap, as well as Giga-byte. Biostar has very nice low-cost nForce2 motherboards. The Asus A7N8X-X you mention is a good board too with the nForce2 chipset.

The bottom line is, you will be happy no matter which board you purchase, whether Giga-byte, Asus, ASRock, MSI, Biostar, etc. Just go with a big name manufacturer (i.e., NOT PC-Chips!!!), and find a board with the right features you want (SATA, FireWire, raid, etc.).

Oh, just watch, some of the newer AMD motherboards are using that extra 4-cable power connector that P4 motherboards use. If you have a P4 compatible PSU, then you'll have no problems. But if not, just check what the motherboard requires.

P4 compatible power supplies have an extra 4 pin connector that is used on "yes, P4 motherboards" but ALSO on many new Athlon boards now.
So as well as the standard power connector you must plug this extra harness into the appropriate connector on the motherboard.
Basically with the ever increasing power demands of high consuming graphics cards, CPU's and PCI addon cards, the old ATX connector just couldn't handle the current, soooo the manufactures came up with an additional standard (with this extra power connector) to take some strain off the main connection to the board.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back