Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard recommendation urgently required

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorh13

Instructor
Sep 18, 2000
GB
I know this is a long shot but really hope someone can help me as I am tearing my hair out!!

I need to source a good quality motherboard that will handle a dual core intel cpu, that is compatible with SATA whilst maintaining good, reliable IDE compatibility. I need to support DOS bootdisk with CDROM support, 9x, NT, 2K, XP \ 2k3 server, Vista and Linux (Fedora or similar).

Tought order I know. I have tried a couple of systems now and have experienced complete opposite problems with each of them -

Acer Power f6 system - runs DOS and Windows based OS but have had no look with a Linux Distro.

Intel based bored will only support XP and 2K due to IDE compatibility issues.

Does anybody feel they can offer some advice. I know a number of the OS's are old but we work for a training company and a number of our clients send their users to us for training on the OS's they use. Their argument is "NT4 works for us so why change"- and no amount of persuasion from us has proved sufficient for them to dig their hands into pockets and come up with the readies for upgrade.

Any help appreciated as always.

Trevor

I don't know about DOS compatibility but I've used many Intel brand boards without any issues on OSes so far, that includes Windows 98, 2000, XP and Redhat. You might try that new Mandriva distribution. I have had much success with that on systems where Redhat would not install. These include the new USB only systems from Dell. Good luck!

Tall order indeed! as pretty much all the latest chipsets have dropped 9X support and your stipulation for a dual core option probably means no core2 duo but instead an older Pentium D for the same reason.
This will take a little research but I'm pinning my bets on last generation chipsets from VIA or SIS.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Many thanks for your advice. I was in the process of downloading Mandriva CD images as the DVD based one doesnt seem to work - think the download is corrupting for some reason as it seems vastly undersized at 500MB!

I have also ordered a Gigabyte board based on realtek and VIA chipsets as I have always found them to be reliable combinations in the past. I have my fingers (and toes) firmly crossed!

Will post back my progress and findings when I have placed it on test.

Many thanks

Trevor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back