Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard Reboots Continuously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
This is a PC I built for a customer with a GIGABYTE GA-H110M-S2H mobo. He called me to say his computer just kept restarting, never getting to the operating system. I checked it out - power supply was ok. Pulled the power and reset button wires off the mobo thinking the switch might be stuck - no love.

But then I reset the BIOS to default and all is well. Not really understanding what happened or if I should be suspicious that the board really has a problem. Memory tests were fine and CPU stress test was fine. I asked the customer if they had any power glitches (customer does NOT have a UPS). He said no.

Just not sure if it's a one time glitch or the mobo is heading down. I am going to buy the customer a UPS to avoid power glitch-related issues.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Did you ask the customer if he ever possibly changed anything in the BIOS? Could have been a bad choice BIOS setting change. If no password, anyone can get to the BIOS, whether they are accustomed to or not.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

This customer would NOT mess with the BIOS. Doesn't even know what BIOS means. He's totally hands-off and NOT curious.

Yeah, but things happen sometimes. It's at least worth the question, since clearing the BIOS fixed it. I've had lots of people tell me that type answer, and then dig enough, and "oh, that's what that is?" [LOL]

Not saying it's the issue, but would hate to dig forever into something and find out it was a PEBKAC issue.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Well, I gave it back to him without asking and he never returns emails or calls unless HE has a problem. So I'm not going to bother asking UNLESS something else crops up.

I did update the BIOS before returning. So, just hoping that that was the source of the problem. Otherwise, could be the mobo going bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back