Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard or processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainlover

Technical User
Mar 22, 2003
US
I have a 1 year old P4 1.8g processor in a Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra mobo. Yesterday, I came home and the computer was off. I hit the power button and nothing happened. I removed the side of the case and the LED on the mobo was on and none of the fans (case and processor) were working. I turned off the psu and let the LEDs go off and then turned it back on and hit the power button. All 3 fans came on for a split second and then quit. I removed all of the peripherals and tried it again and the same thing. I removed the mobo from the case and tried it again and got the same thing. I removed the 4 pin 12v connector from the mobo, hit the power button and the fans work fine. I hooked the mobo up to another power supply and it does the same thing. I cannot find a short between the 12v connector on the mobo and gound. Could this be a processor problem? Or is it more likely a mobo problem? I don't know how to check a processor.

Hi,I had the same problem.It's the processor.It's overheated.
When I returned my computer to the shop I bought it,they replaced the motherboard.Which wasn't even the problem.

Other things you could try are resetting the jumpers.If you have a modem installed try taking it out.Sometimes if a modem has stopped working it can stop the computer from working.If you reset the cmos(you can find which jumper in the motherboards manual) the computer shoud come on,but if it is the processor then nothing will happen.

Stevegreen,
Thanks for the reply.
I have already removed all peripherals and cards and reset the bios and it still does not power up with the 12v connector plugged in to the mobo. I am gonna try this processor in another system and see if it does the same thing.
I'll keep trying

Okay heres it is. If you removed everything from the MOBO and it still doesnt power up. Plus you removed the AGP 12v 4 PIN connection. Plus you also tried a good PS and the same thing happened when you plug in the 4pin Connection then im going to have to say that it's the MOBO. If your system is still under warranty then you should call them. If it is not then I would just go buy a new MOBO.

Well, it turned out to be the mobo. I replaced the mobo with a new Asus P4S533-E and everything is running fine.

Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back