Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard Longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvachon

Programmer
May 22, 2002
US
I'm a software engineer who also handles a number of PC
hardware issues for our customers. We've supplied a number of units over time that were 486 based PCs. We are now trying to estimate how many of these older units may require replacement in the near future due to failure. Is there any information available that states how long [in general] a mother board should last in a given system? I understand that many factors such as environment, actual use time, etc. can effect this,
but even a ballpark figure would help us try to guesstimate the volume of replacement work we might be facing.

Thanks!

Good question! To be honest, I usually never let a motherboard live long enough to find out it's lifespan! In the fast-changing, ever-improving world of PC hardware, I've replaced plenty of perfectly functional mobos just to get ones that supports newer/faster/better hardware.
Having said that, I've seen lots of dinosaurs still running as good as ever.
I don't know of any research or statistics on this, and obviously keeping in mind the numerous variables that would affect hardware's lifespan, I'd ballpark it anywhere from 5 to 7 years.

I work in a college with several computer labs. We buy new computers every year. We use a kind of domino effect. The most up to date lab gets the newest stuff and then the older computers go to other labs. So we dont replace all the computers every year. After the computer labs the leftovers go to the offices. Usually the faculty need a computer of some kind just to stay in touch via email and whatever, so they often have a lower priority than Computer and english labs. Usually they need a glorified typewriter. Some of the staff get a computer. The oldest we have are Pentium 200 and 133's. Most people have a Pentium 300 or better.

We had a sale last year where we sold computers for $5.00 each for either a monitor or a computer. Mostly they were P133 and P200 and P266 that we sold. Otherwise we would have had to hire someone to haul them off. A company could give away computers to a worthy cause also and use it as a Tax Dodge.

We never buy the latest and greatest. we are usually a little behind the technology curve. However, we have to have newer computers to keep running the latest software for teaching networking, programming, database, etc. So far we havent bought any Celerons but that is always an option for a low-key business. I use my computer for Mainframe access, but I still have to have Lotus Notes, Word, Access and Excell, so I can not get too far behind.

You could put all of the computer and the software licenses in a database to keep track of them. Usually we have all the computers in an Equipment File reflecting their warranty and insurance status. Then we put them all on a group insurance policy when the warranty runs out. If something fails we submit it to insurance. We often print out the property list and inventory, or evaluate their status. After a while they are taken off if they are not worth over $200.00.

We try to limit a computer to about 3 to 4 years at the most. After that they are worthless. They can cost more to fix than they are worth. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Based on observation I suspect 4 years average, or roughly 2% per month. But I've also noticed this wierd thing, if you have your spares, you probably won't need them, and if you don't, you will. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

My oldest boards go back to 1995, and I have only had one go bad (bios went kerflooey). I have replaced two out of seven for upgrade reasons. The older they are, the less time I run them, as they are all in my lab for different reasons.

The most charming unit I have is a Dell Optiplex XM590 which only supports up to a P-133 (that should tell you it's OLD). But despite that it is absolutely bulletproof and I am using it right now with W98se and it rocks! It cost me $12 plus around 4 cards (at about $5 each) and functions wonderfully as a test machine.

Answer is: who knows....probably as long as a new toaster these days. No, seriously, around 5-7 years under moderate use and environmental conditions. Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

It depends a lot on the design and build quality of the board. Some manufacturers such as PC-Chips and Jetway make boards that are lucky to last 2 years. Others might build better quality boards that have design flaws, such as Abit with poor heat dissipation from voltage regulators.
Another thing to factor in is whether there is power and phone surge and brownout protection.
CPU and PSU fan failure can both cause mainboard damage so take maintenance and dust levels into account as well.
Given the right conditions, there is no reason for medium-high quality mainboards to fail.
To predict the failure rate, it's a good idea to find out what hardware you have.

We just replaced the last 386 on site. Machine was running fine under win3.1, and the only reason for replacement was that it could not handle our switch to a new server, database, etc. I'm probably going to buy it from the company and use it at home as a linux box in the near future

This is a piece of string question.

I have two Elonex PC-433s, about 12 years old, both working very well running Windows 98 SE and Office 2000.

I also have an IBM 286, about 16 years old, still working as a Citrix ICA client on my network (just to prove it can be done to my colleagues!). Battery was replaced a couple of years ago.

My old 8088 (IBM PC) hasn't been fired up for ages, since I have no use for it. Last time I used it (3 years ago), it was fine.

Given good maintenance, if it lasts the first year or so, there's no reason why any motherboard shouldn't last the 22 years that my 8088 has.

Those cans of spray air are fantastic :) CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back