Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EhKho

Technical User
Dec 5, 2008
GB
I really need someone's help. My husband's computer died with no warning. He shutdown his PC and went back to it later and it returned a video error system beep (1 long, 2 short), instead of Windows loading like it should. No new software, Windows update or hardware was added.

My tower has the exact same hardware, so we stuck his graphics card in mine. No problems so then we moved to memory, hard drive, dvd rom etc and no errors. My hardware also worked in his tower.

ASUS M2N4-SLI Motherboard
ATI Radeon 1600 Pro
iCute 700w PS
Sata HD

Completely confused we thought we'd use the spare tower we had lying around but we have a problem there too. It fires up, normal 1 system beep but no display on the monitor and no sign of life in either the keyboard or mouse.

ECS HT1600 Motherboard
Geforce 7600GS
iCute 700w PS
Sata HD

I can supply other details if needed, I just can't think if I'm leaving something out sorry. Hardware isn't my forte lol

Why not try putting his system back together and see if it boots up.

The problem you describe sounds like one of the fairly common problems where the tail of the video card works its way out of the socket, primarily because of heat cycling, but also because the mounting bracket, if it isn't bent just right, exerts pressure on the card to rotate the tail out.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Before I throw a motherboard out (as being dead) I always pull it out of the case, put it on a tile or wood floor and only connect the bare minimum (CPU, power supply, memory and video card if not integrated video).

See if it powers up OUTSIDE the case and goes into BIOS. Then you have an idea if it's the mobo. Try a different power supply while it's out of the case just to be sure.

Remember - no hard drive connected, no usb ports, no sound card - absolute bare minimum and completely out of the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back