Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbohan

Technical User
Feb 4, 2003
GB
Someone please, please help!

I am currently trying to fix a PC which belongs to a friend of mine.

I have formatted the hard drive and put on a fresh install of Windows 98SE (as requested!)

The system seems to be working fine however I am missing the drivers for the motherboard. The motherboard is a Microstar one (MSI 6166zx) and I cannot for the life of me find any drivers.

I have been able to find manuals, sound drivers etc but my main concern is the on-board graphics chip.

Having traversed the Internet for quite some time but to no avail I stumbled across the VIA 4-in-1 drivers which looked promising and suggested support for this motherboard. However, when I tried to install them it kept coming up with a registry error (on top of completely fresh installation of Windows 98, nothing else installed!!!) How can this be.

The manufacturer has not provided the drivers for the motherboard so I am at a complete loss.

Can someone offer some advice/tips/suggestions please before I recommend buying a new motherboard.

Yeah i have a had a look on this page but to no avail. Thanks fopr your suggestion though.

The only reference I could get on this board said that it was equipt with Intels 440BX chipset (no wonder the Via 4in1's are throwing up errors)
So guys I am not too familiar with intel stuff but it looks like we need drivers for an Intel 440BX chipset, some pointers? Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

download from intel??

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back