Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard dying? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilCabal

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
CA
Hi,

here are the symptoms. My PC won't boot at all. After the system password I either get a black screen or garbage color and it freezes, even when I unplug all disk drives or when I boot from a diskette (you can see the disk reader read for a second though). The weirdest thing is, if I turn the computer on the side everything works fine, for now.

I believe the motherboard is defective but before changing it I wanted some opinions.

Thanks.

Fred

Sounds like you have a card or plug loose. Make sure all cards are securely in place and screwed down. Double check everything on the board. I think somethings loose.

Nope, everything was fine but moving it around actually made it work on the right side. Damn intermitent errors...

Any other thoughts?

keep it on it's side then!

Just kidding, I have to agree, sounds like a loose connection somewhere or a bad monitor cable.

ahh, we posted at the same time, glad you got it working on the right side. Now jst don't use your computer case to store all your old books and coffee mugs on top of anymore! ;)

EvilCabal
I have seen this a couple of times with failing power supplies, rare I admit.
Also check for bulging capacitors on the motherboard see
for acccurate description

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I would also suggest reseating the memory and the processor as well as the points raised by paparazi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back