Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard DEAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacksonVFR

Technical User
Oct 2, 2003
US
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've needed help here and previously I've recieved satisfactory advice! Well, on to our problem...

Earlier today I was able to use my computer for about 30 minutes, listening to music and browsing the web. Just like that my screen goes black, the music does the broken-record-effect for a second or two and the "activity" light on my pc freezes on red. So, I instinctively try to reboot only to get no bios screen, no typical start-up beep and a still frozen red activity light. My fans still operate and I looked for loose power connections inside the pc.

So, my question to you all is if you think it is the motherboard or not? My current one is an Asus A7N8X and my processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2500+. Any recommendations for a decent motherboard would be nice. I also wish I could test it in another machine or something.

Here's a laugh... what am I currently using to post this? An old Packard Bell running Win 98, 64mb ram, 333mhz celeron and a broken floppy drive. I can't wait to get my main machine up and running again. Thanks in advance guys!

Standard procedure in this case is to remove all extension cards, unplug IDE units and everything else, and try booting only on CPU and motherboard.
If you still get the same startup issues, you have either a mobo problem, a CPU problem or, possibly, a RAM problem. I would guess that the mobo would be the culprit.

As for good boards of today, there are definitely some nice choices, but a good portion of them will also require that you change CPU. Are you willing to go to Socket 939 ?

Pascal.

JacksonVFR
Infact the motherboard would be my last suspect.

With these symptoms I would say "power supply" it has likely failed on one power rail (still gives the impression that it is functioning OK because fans etc continue to spin)

Before changing it you could follow pmonett's advice, strip to minimum and clear the cmos.

Also check all fans are (CPU/Graphics card etc) are spinning and free from excessive dust build up.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

So, PSUs can fail without something going "bang" ? I had a PSU go awry on me, but I was next to the machine at the time and I knew instantly what had happened because I heard a bang and saw flash of light from behind the unit.
No smoke, but I immediately but the power to the PC and looked behind it. The PSU was blackened, so I replaced it.
I understand that a capacitor can blow, but how can a PSU just fail without any other sign ?

Pascal.

Understand that this is a percentage guess at this stage, other causes can give similar symptom's ie:

Bad CPU
Bad graphics card
Bad motherboard

But the PSU would be on the top of my "to try list"

Yes they certainly can fail without going bang!

Martin

From past experience, with those symptoms, the power supply is the first suspect.

Amazon has a nice little ATx power supply tester for only $7.95. It's the Antec Atx Power Supply Tester. It's a quick way to check the power supply without resorting to buying and trying another one.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys for the help. I think I'm getting closer to the culprit, but I'm being cautious. Which brings me to some information at where I stand and some questions.

I did not try every suggestion, but I did clear the cmos after looking in my motherboard manual, which did not help. The start up beep is still not there, but I saw that the red "activity" light does go away after 30 seconds or so, longer than usual. Good signs for the motherboard?... my green ethernet light is lit, none of the capacitors are bulged or leaking any substances and no other abnomalities appear. After running the computer for a short bit, I started smelling some burning plastic which seemed to be coming from the exit fan of my power supply.

The 7-year old computer that I am currently using alternatively I am willing to test with my main non-working one. I figure if I hook the old computer's power supply to just the motherboard and power the hard drive, I should be able to determine if it's the motherboard or not, right? Also, do I have to run the processer, or can I be very minimalistic? I'll run the motherboard by itself if it will tell me anything, I just don't want to end up with a further mess. Any tips? Thanks, hoping to clear this up soon.

I don't think any motherboard will give any sign of life without at least a CPU.
Besides, you don't want to remove the CPU uselessly, what with all the hassle of re-applying thermal paste and all the rest.

Definitely test another power supply. If the current one smells, that is a very bad sign.

Pascal.

Are both computers ATX (or ATA)? If so, just swap the "good" PS into the "bad" computer. Another thing, the smell you get from the "bad" PSU, may be dust! When was the last time you blew it out?

JacksonVFR
OK!
Swap over the PSU's but bare in mind this older PSU might only be 235/250watts which will be fine as long as you are only connecting the bare minimum of hardware
Which is:

Motherboard with CPU/heatsink and fan (if you are detaching the heatsink/cooler make sure you are refitting it the correct way around, recess in the base of the heatsink so it is positioned over the raised cam box of the CPU socket, apply paste)

One stick of memory

Graphics card (as long as it's not high end)

Power supply (I believe the Asus A7N8X might have/require the extra P4 power connector attaching, depends on model)

Momentarily touch the "pwr" power header pins with a small flat blade screw driver

You should now get a post.

If this turns out to be the power supply, be careful when re-attaching hard drives and CDroms (one at a time) if when re-connecting they prevent post, the connected device has likely been damaged by the blown PSU and is "dead shorting"

Martin

Ok, my head is spinning because I've not encountered much for hardware problems. Hope you guys are bearing with my slowness and reluctance to get involved. I still have yet to test the power supply, finding out my old one says "ATE" on it. Now the question is if I can throw it in my ATX case to test. I also have a voltmeter, but do not know how to use it. The possibly bad power supply is detached and out of my case now, easier to work with.

About dust, all my components in that case are only a year old and the power supply only has some light surface dust inside of it. If the "section" that powers my motherboard is dead though, it's dead. Maybe if it works the dust could explain the burning, IF it is fully functional. P.S. - I do hope it is the power supply actually, because it's covered by CyberPower for 3 years and they said just send the part in and I'll get a new one. If it's the motherboard it's out of warranty and more hassle to replace as well.

First let me say that indeed your power supply could be bad even though it didnt smoke or bang or otherwise blow up. You have different voltages in all power supplies to run the different voltages required by the mobo and all the parts, cards, drives, etc. One voltage can be affected while others are ok, so the power supply can still be bad even if the computer boots!
You can tell if you have another power supply and simply replace it. If all is well then you know the old power supply is toast. If the computer still wont boot with your other power supply in it then its likely not the power supply, but i think it is, based on what you have said.

You can also test the power supply by using the free power supply tutorial that you can get at techrepublic.com. YOu need a digital or analog meter, which i think you have.
Techrepublic will show you how to test it, but, again, if the other power supply works then you know the other is fried.
One word of caution. There is still power inside a power supply, even if its unplugged and out of the computer, so be careful if you open it to look inside. I use rubber gloves so i dont get a shock. Often i can see what has gone bad inside the power supply. Sometimes its the fan, which can be repaired. If its capacitors or other parts then i just replace it. You can get a decent new one for $30 more or less, and a good one for $40.

From what you have described

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Try a new ram works fine for me and if that helps
let us now.I,ve absolute no idea why the system dont accept used ram blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back