Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

motherboard chipsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanbo

Programmer
Jun 6, 2003
GB
what's the difference between the SiS 748 and the amd 761? should i be favouring one over the other?

They are competing products. SiS has always had solid products and AMD works good with their processor.

i've also heard a lot about n-force. which one is best?

I don't know as I'd call any particular chipset 'best', they are all good [or they wouldn't sell] but since the motherboard manufacturers build the boards to use the chipsets and modify the BIOS accordingly, you just have to look for the features you want. I've used boards with ALi, VIA, AMD chipsets without much problem. NVIDIA nForce is one of the newer ones.

The AMD 761 is an older chipset, lacking many features, such as usb2, serialATA, fsb333, fsb400. In other words, avoid the AMD 761 chipset. Your main players in the Athlon market is the SiS 748, nVidia nForce2, & VIA KT600. Of those, they are all good chips, just go with a reliable motherboard manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back