Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Most Recent Entry Criteria?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slocat

Programmer
Jun 18, 2001
US
I have a Membership table which has a one-to-many relationship to a MemberActivity table. The MembershipActivity table lists activity and date for each entry. I want to base certain forms and reports on the most recent activity date for each member. Is there a function for this? Thank you for any suggestions!

Thank you for your reply. The Max function returns the most recent date, but I need the whole record for that date. The following generates an error (Activity is not part of an aggregate function):

SELECT Activity, MAX(ActivityDate)
FROM MembActivity
WHERE MEMB_NUMB = "20686";

Could you suggest a syntax that will work? Thanks!

Try

FROM MembActivity
GROUP BY Activity
WHERE MEMB_NUMB = "20686";

Let me know if this works for you....

Thanks for sticking with me!

I tried the code above and it gave me a syntax error (missing operator) message.

The following gets no error message:

FROM MembActivity
WHERE MEMB_NUMB = "28686"
GROUP BY Activity;

but it generates the last date for each activity code for that member, which gives me multiple records. I want just the last record for any activity for the member, in other words, the most recent record for that member.

Maybe This will help

SELECT Activity, ActivityDate
FROM MembActivity where ActivityDate=
(select Max(ActivityDate) from MembershipActivity
WHERE MEMB_NUMB = "28686"
And Activity= "YourActivity")
GROUP BY Activity;

Cheers!
Aqif

GOT IT!

Actually the Group By generates an error message, but I don't need it anyway. The following produces just what I want:

SELECT Activity, ActivityDate
FROM MembActivity
WHERE ActivityDate=(SELECT Max(ActivityDate) FROM MembActivity
WHERE MEMB_NUMB = "28686")

THANK YOU! I really appreciate you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back