Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Most recent date 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpreston

MIS
Mar 4, 2015
GB
Hi

I am trying to get out of a table of cost price changes the last date a cost was changed for products.

I am trying just on one code at the moment to simplify things. My code is as below but I am getting the error An expression of non-boolean type specified in a context where a condition is expected, near ')'

I tried to change the date format but still get the same issue. Any ideas please. Thanks

Code:
SELECT  Format([ChangeDateTime],'dd/MM/yyyy') AS Date, ProductID, AverageCostPriceWithAdditional, LastCostPriceWithAdditional
FROM ProductPriceHistory
Group by ProductPriceHistory.ProductID, ProductPriceHistory.AverageCostPriceWithAdditional,ProductPriceHistory.LastCostPriceWithAdditional,ProductPriceHistory.ChangeDateTime
HAVING ProductID = 47561 AND MAX(ProductPriceHistory.ChangeDateTime)

Hi

I managed to get the one row back using the code below. However, now I want to get it by all codes that have a lastcostpricewithaddiotnal listed, but using this code without the WHERE ProductID = 47561); I am only getting one row back which is the very last date a change as been made. How would I get it to list all the different codes but the latest change. Thanks

SQL:
SELECT ProductID, AverageCostPriceWithAdditional, LastCostPriceWithAdditional, ChangeDateTime
FROM ProductPriceHistory
WHERE ChangeDateTime=(
SELECT MAX(ChangeDateTime) FROM ProductPriceHistory WHERE ProductID = 47561);

What's your Primary Key field in your [tt]ProductPriceHistory[/tt] table?

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Hi

It as these keys listed under the columns

Productid PK, FK
Branchid, PK, FK
ChangeDateTime PK

Thanks

Go this from the database also

pk_Name
PK_ProductPriceHistory

columns
ProductID, BranchID, ChangeDateTime

Just a guess here....

Code:
SELECT *
FROM ProductPriceHistory
WHERE Productid + Branchid IN (
  SELECT MyID FROM (
    SELECT Productid + Branchid As MyID, MAX(ChangeDateTime)
    FROM ProductPriceHistory
    GROUP BY Productid + Branchid ))

---- Andy

HI

Gave your Guess a go but I am getting the below error, and I don't quite get the MyID part of it, thanks

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 7
Incorrect syntax near ')'.

If you just do:

Code:
FROM ProductPriceHistory
GROUP BY Productid + Branchid

Do you get the outcome of two columns?
Concatenated Productid and Branchid fields (As MyID) and the correct Max date of ChangeDateTime for the concatenated values?

---- Andy

HI

That brought back

44053 rows affected)

which appear to be unique records looking at the MYID

Are those the records (based on Productid + Branchid) that you want to have as the outcome of your request from ProductPriceHistory table?

(You may compare this output to the one as you got for ProductID = 47561)

---- Andy

Hi

It brings back which is the latest record (see below), so that would work I believe, how do we get the fields in?

47561 2019-11-19 12:41:43.580

So, if we know now that this works OK:

Code:
[blue]SELECT Productid + Branchid As MyID, MAX(ChangeDateTime)
FROM ProductPriceHistory
GROUP BY Productid + Branchid [/blue]

We can get just the first column (MyID) from it:

Code:
SELECT MyID FROM (
[blue]SELECT Productid + Branchid As MyID, MAX(ChangeDateTime)
FROM ProductPriceHistory
GROUP BY Productid + Branchid [/blue])

And if that works OK, we can treat it as a PK field to use in IN part of your Select (as in my post of 2 Dec 19 18:38)

---- Andy

Hi

I have the code as below but it is giving me Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 17
Incorrect syntax near ')'.

I have tried all sorts to rectify it but cannot solve it.

SQL:
SELECT *
FROM ProductPriceHistory
WHERE Productid + Branchid IN (
  SELECT MyID FROM (
FROM ProductPriceHistory
GROUP BY Productid + Branchid)

Every "(" should have matching ")", so you would need 2 "))" at the end.

That's why I tried to do it step-by-step in my last posts.

---- Andy

Thanks for all your reply's and patience. The ball park on this as now changed and I have created another query which if I can get the calculation to work will be wht is required.

I can create a new Thread if you prefer but will ask the question anyway.

I need to calculate SUM (AverageCostPriceWithAdditional * Thickness/1000 * Width/1000 * TallyLengths) ) as Calucaltion

The tallycosts field is a varchar field and I am getting Error converting data type varchar to numeric. if I onclude it in the formula. I believe I should use case but how and where I am not sure. I have tried a few things but no luck.

Code:

I would start a new thread, but...
[tt]
SUM (AverageCostPriceWithAdditional * Thickness/1000 * Width/1000 * TallyLengths) as Calucaltion[/tt]

I do not see any [tt]tallycosts[/tt] field in the expression above... [ponder]

---- Andy

Hi

It was TallyLengths I meant sorry. I found a value in the filed that could not convert and should not have been in the table anyway, got rid of that and the calculation worked.

Thanks for all your help

If TallyLengths should only contain numbers, I would strongly suggest to change it from varchar to numeric format.

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back