Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Most Experienced IT Professionals say A+ Net+ a Waste of Time 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriss1563

IS-IT--Management
Aug 17, 2004
US
Whats going on here? Why do so many IT professionals say NO to getting an A+ and Net+ Certification? They say its a waste of money and time. Then why so many people still getting their A+ and Net+?

These so-called "IT Professionals" are snobs. Anything considered entry-level is beneath them. You see the same thing in academia from people with advanced degrees.

I am a strong supporter of Professional Organizations which allow like minded professionals to communicate, exchange ideas and resources and generally advance the industry as a whole. The number of organizations is quite large. Many are supoported by industry giving us even better access to industry resources. Here is just a partial listing of some of the professional groups I either support or belong to:

Instrumentaion, Systems & Automation Society Storage Networking Industry Assoc. Assoc. of Storage Networking Professionals CompTIA Electronics Technicians Association, International The Fiber Optic Assoc.
the list goes on...

Bottom line, your career is what you make it. If you spend your time listening to "what others say", you will fit right into their little shoebox and never reach your true potential. Break out of the box!

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,CETsr,CST,CNST,CNCT,CFOT,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Amen, Glister.

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Well in the company that I work for, and it’s a Global one, the Net+ is looked upon favorably. Just like anything, you need to know the basics, and the Net+, A+, etc prove that. My manager gets a positive check mark for his eval for how many people have industry certs, even basic ones.

And like glister said, 'Bottom line, your career is what you make it.'

Well most IT Jobs nowadays are requiring a minimum of an A+ Certification most are moving to higher level certfications and a college degree. I am A+ certified, and one of only 3 in my department. I just graduated college and I know for a fact that the certification was one of the key factors to getting my job. As with any job, experience is always the best training, but having a good solid foundation to start from will definitely move you up the corporate ladder faster.

I think this all depends on what you plan to do JPLWU says it well though. I graducated college in 2003 with an AS in CS and many years experience even before the days of need paper to make paper :).

I am currently considering obtaining the A+, am an IT Manager, i dont need it, but that is for self (me), what would look good is the MCSE, which comes after. Why? This is directly in the area of operation. Of course the IT people are going to tell you its a waste of time, but a hardware helpdesk manager will say different. I think any certification is an accomplishment and says something about a person; Thats just me though :)

::.even if I dont know about it, I still approach it with confidence to figure it out::.

how many of the people who say "waste of time" have _any_ technical certifications?

how many are directly involved in hiring?

make your own choices based on knowledge, not hype...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Amen!

::.I may not know it all, but I still approach it with confidence to figure it out::.

I would have to say a great percentage of the people who are hiring and a great percentage of people in the business to who I am close too all say the same thing.. A+ and Net+ are just high school diplomas of the IT industry.

With the ease of online certifications courses and study guides, You don't even need to involve yourself in any hands on training to get an A+ and a Net+ certification (but, it does help!) Trust me on this. If you are really looking in a course of study. Network Security and Administration is the best way to go. I am not saying to ignore getting an A+ or Net+ certification. I have them both. But it still hasn't opened the door of opportunity for me as of yet. Oh! how I wish it will! Maybe someday when I am too old to get into the business.

Well as an employer, I do look at certifications and obviously someone with a A+ will catch my eye. However I don't rely entirely on that. I've seem way too many A+ certified people out there that don't know s*it. I do also support certifications by paying for the exams and keep the books handy in our technical library shelf.

I took some part in a conversation in another forum here on Tek-Tips. The debate of Degree vs. Certs. Of course you get the ones who went through 2 or 4 years of school saying Certs was a cheap way out. And the certs side saying - hey we put experience behind the cert not teaching before experience.

What it does show - with the integrity of CompTia and I also believe Microsoft Certs - you have a level of knowledge to pass a non-vendor or vendor specific test.

Some people are book learners, other are hands on learners. I was at one point certified by the FAA to be a weather observer. I could run circles around another person who got it in hands on proceedures - but they were a better book learner and aced it first time out. (took me and 65% of the people 2 tries).

But either way - we both could demonstrate a certain level of knowledge in that particuliar subject. College courses are great, but your not taking classes on just non-vendor specific networking.

"Never underestimate the power of determination"

Stuart
Net+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back