Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Most appropriate licensing solution (small library)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandHooHa

Technical User
Feb 17, 2002
US
I am hoping someone here has been in a similar situation and can shed some light on this. The Microsoft Licensing page for Win2K does not speak English.

I am going to be setting up a domain for a small local library. They are going to be running 2 servers (with Active Directory) and then about 10 workstations. Now, my initial thought was to order a copy of Windows 2000 Server with 10 CALs, and then get an addition 5-pack of CALs. This would allow for 2 servers, and then 13 other computers, correct? Or does a CAL only apply to a workstation, and not a server? Do I need a license other than a CAL to install another copy onto a different server?

Okay, so assuming I get the correct number of CALs (and have some surplus), would I then need to select "Per Server" or "Per Seat" during installation?

I realize these are dumb questions to some, but I am on a limited budget and can't afford to get the wrong licenses.

Thank you,
-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back