Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More Va the better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antdickens

Programmer
Nov 13, 2001
GB
Good Morning,

I have been asked to quote for some ups's for a client. In the server room they have 2 - 24 port switches, a server, and a telephone system.
Then downstairs there are two fax machines, and 10 thin clients with 17" crt monitors.
I assume the fax machines will need less power than the PC's.
I have been asked to quote for a system that would keep the systems running for 2 and 4 hours seperately.

Is there a reliable way of specing how much va something needs?

Thanks in advance

Check the data plate on the equipment for power consumption.
Volts(v) X Amps(a)=VA.
Size for inrush load(everything powers up at once).
Efficiency wii probably be 60-65%.
If you have the $$ have a power audit!
Why so long on the up time ? You should only plan on a enough time for a graceful shutdown.
For long run time(s) you need standby power generation equipment.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Keep in mind the max you can plug into a standard 15A outlet with an APC is 1500VA. Anything above will need a 20A outlet. If the fax machine is a laser one, you might have a problem because they pull a lot of juice when they start printing and it might not work (not sure) even with a 1500VA standalone. The 17" monitors CRT will be a heavy drain. Thin clients and the switches will be pretty small. Normally for workstations, we install very small upses just to give enough time to shutdown the systems. The servers stay up a little longer (around 1 hour) so that mail and remote access users still get to work. Don't forget backup power to the router/modem if they need internet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back