Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More than one default gateway 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnipitus

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2001
US
The company I work for has 10 remote locations and until yesterday had 2 different methods of communicating with them: 1. Frame Relay 2. Syncronet. We are now in the process of changing the entire company over to a VPN WAN. The problem is that the frame relay sites require a router to see the servers, and the new VPN WAN needs to use a seperate router. I tried to set 2 different gateways but only the first gateway in the list will work(i.e. if the Frame router is first the 4 locations on the frame work fine but the other store cannot get in). For the Frame Relay I have a Motorola router(192.168.0.32) and for the VPN a Sanoma ATM with router(192.168.0.2). I need to know how I can set both as gateways and have both work together. The servers are Compaq Proliant running Windows NT 4.0 service pack 6.

I dont think you can set 2 gateways. What you are going to have to do is put a router or layer 3 switch in front of those other 2 routers, and have the new router be your default gateway, and then let that router decided wether the traffic goes frame or VPN.

Cant really see how else you are going to get things to work.
shnypr-small.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back