Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More than one backup to disk device question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfrat6

MIS
Mar 23, 2004
US
Hello all, I have a situation where a 7.13 server on Windows 2003 has 2 UNC connected adv_file devices of 1.3TB each. I would like the nightly backups to utilize both devices.

Do you think setting the device Target sessions to a low number would balance the sessions between them? Or would you use a different method to achive this.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Sorry for ignorance, but I don't know what UNC is.

Do you think setting the device Target sessions to a low number would balance the sessions between them?

well, yes, target sessions will tell to NW how many savesets will be written to a tape (or file) concurrently, so if your client resource has e.g. 8 savesets and you have 2 tapes, you can configure the tape resource with 4 target sessions so both tapes will be used to backup.

Now, regarding to your question, low number of taget sessions will be good only if you have several savesets. eg. if you have only C: as save set, well, you have only one saveset, so you need to divide the backup somehow.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply Chacalinc....
Sorry for not being more specific...UNC definition;
Stole the definition from
Uniform Naming Convention
<networking> (UNC) Used in IBM PC networking to completely specify a directory on a file server.

The basic format is: \\servername\sharename

So I have two 1.3TB shares on the NAS that is referenced from the Networker server as \\nas01\backup. This works Ok although it is not supported by Legato. I set the Target sessions to 4 on each device and it did split the sessions accordingly.

Thanks again I will consider breaking up any of the larger servers that wont push more than 4 sessions.

Did you increase the server parallelism (dafault is also 4)? This is the max. number of streams you may open at all.

And of course you must also make sure that the pools match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back