Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More storage for exchange 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperman

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2002
US
Hello,

We have an exchange 2003 server with 9 GB free. The server is a ibm e-server(1u) that's 1.5 years old and both hard drive slots full(mirror). I was thinking about adding a high capacity usb2 drive for the mail store. Does anyone have any objections to that idea or other ideas??

Thanks.

Hands down - external enclosure/array for some drives.

Bare minimum you should be mirroring any discs that are storing Exchange IS data.

JB

"He who laughs last probably made a backup. He who laughs loudest probably hasn't checked his backups in a while."

There's also the speed issue. With USB 2.0 at theoretical best you can get about 60 Megabytes/sec. With Ultra320 SCSI your theoretical max is 320 Megabytes/sec.

As pure anecdote, I inherited a server with an external USB drive attached. Had severe performance issues. After eliminating everything else we removed the USB drive and the server's been fine ever since.

Ditto what crobin said about speed - that's an excellent point.

All the storage in the world doesn't help much if your Exchange server crawls along at the pace of a snail.

Not that there's anything wrong with snails... ;)

JB

"He who laughs last probably made a backup. He who laughs loudest probably hasn't checked his backups in a while."

internal drives are cheep these days...more work to re-do your server but well worth it. U can always (if the server can take it) add another raid config to existing one and then move your storage dbs.
All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back