Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More space

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiltedscotsman

Technical User
Dec 3, 2002
GB
Hi,

I am using a 5300 compaq array controller.
I have 3 * 36GB drives set up as RAID 5.

This is setup as one logical drive, and has been divied into 3 partitions:
C: 9GB
D: 28ishGB
e: 28ishGB

can I give the C: more space without incurring any data loss?

Thanks in Advance

Kilted

With the Array Controller Hardware err ... No

You can expand the array.. but that will simply add an area of extra unassigned space to the logical disk, or if you choose create a new logical disk with the extra space on that Array.

M.S. Windows, unless someone else knows better !! ;) will not allow you to extend the volume of the system partion (e.g. C: )

You may be able to re-size the partition with a utility such as partition magic, although support would then be questionable from both a Microsoft and Hp(Compaq) point of view.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks.

I have already tried PQ Magic but it does not support Win 2k Server. Although I may look for an alternative.

Kilted

Kilted,

Have you looked at the Virtual Replicator product from Compaq/HP, this allows you to grow a C: drive on W2K.

Incidentally, why do you need to grow it?

G

Thanks G,

The root drive was down to 300+MB, but now I have managed to free up 2GB of useless data that was stored on it.

When the server was setup, the company that set it up made a virtual drive (M:) for the Exchange mailboxes, this is taken from the C: drive. So, I figured it would be useful to have some more breathing space.

I am currently looking into moving the virtual M: drive to another drive, but currently do not know how to approach this, any ideas?

Thanks very much.

Kilted

ks,

i believe there are several software solutions for moving partitions (volume magic being 1), if it's set up at the hardware RAID level i think it's reasonably permenant.

the drive u r describing as virtual, is this a drive mounted in a folder or something? Methods i've come across when trying 2 free up space on a drive have been..

1. creating a pagefile.sys on less busy partitions.
2. Creating a new temp dir on a less busy drive and altering the enviro variables to suite.
3. Enabling the policy that deletes user profiles when a user logs off the server.

i tend to keep the partition containing the OS completely free apart from the OS, this is safer in case of corruption also if using hardware RAID provides a definite performance advantage.

jason

Thanks for the tips guys!!

Very good forum, will be sure to come back.

Thanks again.

Kilted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back