Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More RAM Needed? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatociego

Technical User
Dec 21, 2006
MX

Hello guys, and a great big thanks for your previous suggestions. Really hit the nail on the head!

Old Premier 6.0 (but soon to upgrade to Pro 2)
Windows XP Pro
Harddrive 37gig (usually around 20 available for my Premier projects)
Processor Celeron 2.4gig
RAM 352meg

When I add an element to the timeline and hit OK to build a preview, it is really quite slow in building.

I know I am really light in the RAM department, and am considering adding more.
Question: If I add a card of 512megs of RAM, will I see a NOTICEABLE difference in working with Premier???

Many thanks in advance

Paul

Part of your problem is the Celeron. Video processing renders much faster on a fully-featured CPU.

More memory would help, but I wouldn't recommend running Premiere Pro on a Celeron system even with more memory.

If you disable the display of small pics and audio waveform in the timeline it is much much faster.
You can toggle them on an off and only show them when you really have to for fine editing.
I also keep changing the magnification to suit what I am doing.
You need at least a 3.3 dual pentium and 1 Gb memory to have quick results.

I just loaded 1 Gig and it appears to run faster (AOpen @ 2.2GHz) but it isn't that much quicker, what used to take 28 minutes with 9 layers mostly empty but for a few stills of flags that have motion for a few seconds at key points, but four full layers zooming down 4 movies to the corner positions to make one movie with 4 distinct areas.

A similar movie with only 4 full layers and a bottom 5th layer empty takes 18 minutes. How much the flags make it flag (ho ho ho) is a moot point. I would reckon 15% to 20% is the improvement.

Premiere 6.5 on Win XP SP2. end clip 2 minutes 17 seconds.

To have a good results you need 1 GB RAM memory & minimum 3 GB processor(not Celeron!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back