Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More Questions about EDI 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscouser3

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
US
Hello,

I'm still doing research about gathering information on EDI for an EDI project. Here are some questions that we are not sure about...

In a single EDI file that you send out, can you have multiple different transaction sets like 810, 820,...?

After someone send an EDI file to you, does the 997 file get sent for that one EDI file or does multiple 997 get sent for multiple tranaction sets in that one EDI file?

What is the maximum size of a EDI document?

Thank you for any help in this matter.

ciscouser3,
each transaction set is generally its own file.
if you are trading 997s there is one for each transaction set.
to the best of my knowledge there is no limit on the document size.
regards,
longhair

Multiple transactions can be allowed in one transmission, and they can be multiple types. 997's are per transaction, based on the TP agreement.
Doc size is usually limited by either the hardware or the transport method.
Most people find it hard to work with a file greater than 2 Gig. due to 32 bit program limits.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

This is very helpful information. Thank you very much!

You can transmit multiple transactions, but I wouldn't recommend putting all your eggs in one basket. Especially if you have problems and need to do any research.

It's up to you and how comfortable you are with it.

Depends on how reliable your system is.
I see transmissions with thousands of transactions in them all the time.

Obviously this is not running on an Intel PII 233 :)

BocaBurger

BocaBurger said:
Obviously this is not running on an Intel PII 233

So I'm not alone with my dual xeon setup then ? :D

Actually I was thinking more about a Power 5 or 6 system running AIX.

BocaBurger

what about a hp d9000 running hpux11 dual chip with about 1.7gigs of ram?
regards,
longhair

Just guessing, but unless the transactions are huge, that should handle several hundred an hour.

BocaBurger

Boca,
when it was in production it could handle several hundered per 1/2 hour, even with our mrp system on it.
however, the company that writes our EDI software went away from all OS's except MS (via - 'we will support it but at a premium $').
i'm now running it on a pIII 500 with less that a gig of ram. still runs extremely quick - but that is due to how they wrote their software.
i prefer the unix software, but the end users prefer the gui. thankfully, i can do most of my work / maint with bat jobs and the scheduler - just had to convert them from their shell scripts and cron jobs.
regards,
longhair

Write the GUI in JAVA and run it on UNIX :)

I see systems that take 300 megabyte IDOCs and create EDI files from them. Hard to do on a PIII with less than a gig of RAM.

I have some users with 32 CPU boxes with 64 Gig. of RAM.

BocaBurger

Boca,
we're not that big of an operation. (^o^)
besides tptb won't let me install samba and don't want that many connections to the unix box.
this system just handles the edi aspect (more so just sending and receiving). the system has a synergy back end but the front end is dynamically generated .asp. actually, pretty cool since most of the dynamic aspects are handled byt bat files.
i still do all of my real work on the unix box (as far as creating 856s, 810s, etc and doing look ups for the 830s, 862s, 850s, etc) in progress.
handles our 30 to 40 tps a day just fine.
regards,
longhair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back