Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More Problems on 43P 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOG

MIS
Jan 31, 2002
GB
Hi folks,

I did fresh installation of AIX 4.3.3 on 43P and I am in the middle of configuring it before I can install oracle 8.1.7.

Now I ran some commands

instfix -ik | grep ML
and there is one message which says

"Not All filesets for 4330-07_AIX_ML were found"? What does this mean and what should I do please.

Also, when listing all the filesystems I noticed that /home is not included. I would have thought this filesystem would be automatically mounted during installation.

I tried mounting it on / directory but I keep getting error messages saying something like

"cannot mount /dev/hd1 on /: a file or directory in the path name does not exist."???

Then I did some research and found /dev/hd1 does not exist !! What shall I do, do refresh installation again?

Thanking you all in advance.

Regards

Katherine [r2d2]

You need to copy latest ML patch (09 or 10) to location in system to reapply later ...

they are downloaded from

check
oslevel -l 4.3.3.0
if you do not have a filesets from 4.3.2 or older - this will mess up corrections to 4.3.3
so you should update them from 4.3.3 install cd0

Hi

The result of my oslevel is 4.3.3.0 so should I install AIX 4.3.3 disks again? How? Through smitty?

This is new experience for me and I am not sure what to do at this stage.

Many thanks

Katherine

not in that case - sometimes some IBM apps have older filesets along with them just to install product, you need to check oslevel -l to see which of older/damaged filesets causes/will cause problem

lppchk -v
lppchk -c

you are running maintenance level 7 , run lppchk -v
this will check what filesets are installed and lists which ones are missing .

If you have a maintenace level CD , find out which version i.e. 7,8,9,10 , you can try running smitty update_all
run in preview mode first and check if other filesets need to be loaded first ?

HTH

When it states not all filesets are installed, that mean that possibly just 1 fileset, maybe a msg file did not get upgraded and is still reading at a lower level than ML 07. This can be checked with the `oslevel` command and the -l and -g flags.

I am not sure why /home did not mount which has a logical volume of hd7 and is in the rootvg. /home will not mount if you are in maintenance mode but will mount in normal mode. After the installation of 4.3 base you should have rebooted and then all of the filesystems would have been mounted.

You do not have to put on ML 09/10 just because it is the latest ML available. We have 70+ nodes in an SP environment and are running ML 08 and chose not to go to ML 09 but will go to ML 10. This is because of problems with ML 09 problems.

Hope some of this was helpful.

Java filesets.

Trust me. If you are not using them, deinstall and you will not see that line. If there are updates to the Java filesets, I don't know about them. We don't use them so I just deinstall. I have a few machines that show "all filesets" for 08 and 09, but not 07, and that is due to non-updated Java.

If you are using Java, hopefully the Oracle install will let you bypass that issue. If not, try reinstalling them after updating Oracle.

Many thanks for all the inputs, much appreciated.

Regards

Katherine

I noticed recently after we installed Japanese lang files on a 4330-09 server, `instfix -i|grep ML` showed the machine at 4330-01. I got a bit worried until I figured out it was just three JP filesets. =)

If you type

instfix -ciqk 4330-07_AIX_ML | grep ":-:"

it will show you which filesets you are missing in the 07 ML (replace with the apropriate version if this happens on a ML other than 07). Usually when you get a message like "Not all filesets found", it is only one or two filesets that are missing and should not be anything serious.

From what I've heard - there is a bug in the ML 07 install that didn't correctly install all the java 1.1.6 filesets. But since they were out-of-date anyway, IBM said to ignore that line.

To find out what full OS level you are at use: oslevel -r.

The reason you can't mount to /home is that there isn't a directory called /home. This is called a mount point you need to have a directory there before you can mount a filesystem to the name.

If you do have a /home directory, then remember that anything in that directory before the mount will be in the lost+found directory after mounting happens.

Good luck KOG - you've put out bigger fires than this before, and you can handle this one. [cook] Einstein47
(Love is like PI - natural, irrational, endless, and very important.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back