Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More on Relativity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

I8NHJ

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2010
US
thread209-820167
Tom (k5tm), I've a direct question and I know you have the answer. Can the logic behind the RM/COBOL index files to be found somewhere and, if the asnwer is no, do you think it will be ever released?
We developped RMCobol application during the last 20 years but now I'm getting old and following other projects and there isn't any other in the company able to follow the cobol projects so it is time to move over.
I used Relativity but it seems to me that having a custom-made tool should do a better job.
Catch you on some pile-up...
Max, I8NHJ

Hi Max,

As you may be aware, Micro Focus acquired Liant, and therefore RM/COBOL, about two years ago. RM/COBOL is still an active product, so there will be no release of the file management software in the foreseeable future. RM/COBOL is still actively maintained by a team that I lead.

Relativity can certainly be used to provide a starting point for creating your logical schema of your relational database. Relativity can export the logical schema as CREATE TABLE statements. And I would think that there are several tools that can help you migrate the data from a Relativity ODBC data source to another relational database. If you have not used Relativity in the last few years, be assured that it too is an actively maintained product the performance of which has been continually improved.

Micro Focus has a large effort in place for User Interface modernization, and has just announced Visual COBOL as part of the Visual Studio 2010. There will be more exciting announcements (but I should stop before the management of Tek-Tips think I am an advertisement). COBOL has a long way to go. Perhaps you should teach someone in your company COBOL - even I was able to learn it!

I would love to be back on the bands, so perhaps I will have some time when I retire in a few years. Until then, I help out in some small ways.

Tom Morrison
Micro Focus

Thanks Tom both for the answer and the support to the CQ staffs.
I was almmost aware about the answare but why don't ask? We use MySQL and I know we can interface it to Relativity and yes, I was also aware about VisualCobol. I think I go for the last release of Relativity.
Thanks again
Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back