Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More info regarding issues with Windows 10 Anniversary Update 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
I've been using Win 10 since the first preview edition. It's been really O.K.
Over the past month my 8 year old HP desktop was starting to show its age so I sprung for a new HP Envy desktop with 16GB DDR3 RAM and an i7-6700 8 core CPU.
It came with Win 10. As soon as I unpacked it and fired it up down came the anniversary update. It seemingly took FOREVER to apply.
Then, after the reboot, this monster system ran turtles s-l-o-w. For a reference, when clicking the file-explorer icon on the task bar it would take between 10-15 SECONDS for the very first screen to appear. And every other task was the same way. This system was literally unusable as a development system.
I did tons of research and even obtained and applied the "self-fix update" that M$ released last Sunday. No improvement.
I had actually gotten ready to reload this back to Win 7 Pro or a Linux base.
But today while reading this forum I noticed that someone referenced a BIOS update. So I checked HP for any updates. Indeed there was a UEFI update as well as other device driver updates.
I downloaded then applied them and rebooted. Honestly THIS IS A DIFFERENT MACHINE NOW!!!
The same click on file-explorer displays the first screen instantly. And almost everything I do is virtually immediate. WOW, what an amazing difference.

So my point in posting this is: Don't give up. Check the mfg's support site for BIOS/UEFI and driver updates and APPLY THEM. It might just save you weeks of frustration (as it would have for me).

If you read this and hear of someone having speed issues, please recommend this simple process to them.

Good luck. Thanks for reading. [2thumbsup]

Yes, these big "updates" are on the scale of a new Windows release (or Windows XP SP2, which was really a new release). So a lot of things can be impacted.

And at a certain point you're just out of luck, based on Microsoft's determination that your hardware configuration is considered "at end of life."

All editions of Windows 10 get 10 years of updates, support

Microsoft promises the traditional decade, or as long as the hardware can handle the OS, whichever comes first.

Considering that WIN10 was extremely bloated to start with. What has the upgrade added to the system which took so long to install?

Keith

>extremely bloated

It has the same system requirements as Windows 7, including the amount of disk space required ... so I'd hardly call that extremely bloated.

I don't remember WIN7 being 11Gb but I stand to be corrected.
It took my update 3 hours to chug through it's process and then I had another couple of hours of making it work.
I assume that the update was to correct errors and replace bad code, for it to take 3 hours, there must have been a lot wrong.

Keith

>the update was to correct errors and replace bad code

You seriously think this is what is happening? This isn't a patch or security release. This is a new version of Windows 10.

To be fair, the update appears to have fixed a lot of the issues I was having.
As for many of the other added gimmicks, they have no place on a business computer and users should be able to remove them.

Keith

Perhaps you could provide an example list of what shouldn't be there? I'm curious.

We have no use for any of the apps which come pre installed on our office machines.
If we have a need for a piece of software, we are intelligent enough to go out and source a product which will perform the task.
We only have 3 WIN10 computers so I can only speak from my experiences but all 3 load up very fast, and perform a single task brilliantly, problems appear when we attempt to carry out several tasks. ie. Photoshop, Facebook and a couple of websites. We are using local software as opposed to the Cloud which is a problem in intermittent internet service areas. I know this isn't Microsoft's fault but we operate in a real world where such problems exist.

Our previous, far lower spec XP machines could handle this multiple use and a lot more but our WIN10 machines start freezing and caching and it is like being in the old 'dial up days'.
In an attempt to make Windows perform better on mobile phones, it appears that Microsoft have stopped them working properly on desktop computers.
They are fine if all you want to do is run a few apps and keep an eye on the weather but we demand much more from our computers than that.

Keith

>it appears that Microsoft have stopped them working properly on desktop computers

I'd counter that by saying that Windows 10 works at least as well as XP for me. I'm currently running ... hang on ... yes, 12 applications with no problems whatsoever. And often run more. Whther connected to the internet or not. And is also working well on an old laptop that theoretically, according to both Microsoft and Dell, is not suppoprted under W10.

However, neither of our usage is likely to be typical, and thus our reports of W10 performance should be seen as anecdotal.

>We have no use for any of the apps which come pre installed on our office machines.

So you'd suggest that Notepad, for example, not be shipped with Windows 10?

What are the specification on your windows machine. For example I am running a windows machine at work with 8 gig of ram and in intel i5 3470 and can run everything from a sql server database, oracle database and a large number of development application all at the same time with no problems.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

The spec of the 3 machines is
AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.4Ghz
6.00 Gb RAM
64 bit Operating System x64-based processor

One of out guys removed WIN 10 and set it up as an XP machine and found that everything ran at a decent speed without any sign of crashing or locking up.
That is our basis for the comparison with XP, not scientific by any means but at least proves the machines are not old fashioned chug boxes.
As for programs like Notepad, they have been shipped with operating systems since the year dot, I was referring more to games apps, Social media and weather apps which have no place on an office machine.

Keith

One thing I would suggest is to increase the memory to at least 8 gig. While Microsoft specification says it will "run" on as little as 2 gig, that means that only the OS will run and then not very will. The more applications running on your machine the more memory you need. Also I occasionally clean up the registry (once a month) to get rid of dead links. I use the free ware application called ccleaner at

I checked as many reviews as I could and most of them suggest CCleaner. Be careful you only use the above link. There are hacked versions on the net that will infect your machine.

However the big thing is memory. Upgrade one of your machines to at least 8 gig and see if your problems go away. On my home machine I upgraded from 4gig to 8gig and it was like night and day.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

>As for programs like Notepad

My point is made: when you said "We have no use for any of the apps which come pre installed on our office machines" that's not what you meant. You do have an idea of what shouldn't be included. Trouble is that different people may disagree with you on what should be included on an 'office machine'.

(BTW, games: as far as I am aware, the only game that ships with W10 is Solitaire; so, fewer games than previous versions of Windows - except W8/8.1 - and again, as with Notepad, something that has shipped with Windows since the year dot)

I will look into the memory thing but it dos back up my theory that WIN10 is hungrier than previous versions.

As for Notepad etc. if all applications were optional a user could fully customise their machine to their particular use rather than have to settle with what Microsoft think we might require.

Keith

>optional

I don't necessarily disagree. Nor do Microsoft, not completely. However, they seem to think they should only make it (easily[sup]1[/sup]) optional for the Enterprise version, and even there you generally need to use centralised management tools to achieve it (such as using SCCM to create a stripped down reference image for installation).

[sup]1[/sup]It is quite possible, as you probably already know, to remove all (or selected) packaged applications from all versions of W10 - but it requires the use of powershell with elevated privileges.

All I see here is a silly premise tacked onto a short thread. Everything since appears to be desperate flagellation attempting to justify that premise.

[more flagellation]
Mike
My main bug bear is 'Store', why would a commercial Use PC need that? And as for XBox really?
and although using the Powershell method will apparently remove 'Store'. It is so deeply embedded that you will start getting Event logs errors, as other stuff desperately searches for the now missing Store.
BTW CCleaner has the facility to 'remove' the Apps, without all that mucking about with Powershell, we all know what MS thinks about CCleaner.
[/more flagellation]

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain
That's just perfectly normal Paranoia everyone in the universe has that: Slartibartfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back