Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More FTPs problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2004
US
Hi! I've always gotten great help here, so I am back!

I am trying to get FTPs to work from our AS400 to a vendors FTP server. Both our AS400 and their FTP server are behind PIX515 firewalls. Ports 20 and 21 and 990 are open on our side. Their tech is telling me to open ports 3000-3099, but can not tell me why. Why would I want to do this? It doesn't seem "safe" or "right". What is the best way to get FTPs to work??? Help please!!!!!!

Well for FTP all you need to do is allow traffic on the control channel (tcp 21) and make sure fixup protocol ftp is enabled. If the ftp service run on a non standard port then you need to enable the the fixup protocol for the special port ("fixup protocol ftp 2021" for example) besides allowing traffic on the non standard control channel.

If a tech will not tell you why you need to open certain ports on your network, then do not do it.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Ports 3000-3099 are probably the ports that they use on their side to allow for passive ftp. You'll have to either open those ports up on your side or get him to change what ports that they use for passive ftp I would guess.

--hag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back