Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More from Getting Started with Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkd

MIS
Jun 20, 2000
SG
The Oracle on the UNIX machine is production. But, what I really want to know is what do I need to do to work independently on my PC. What software do I need to install on my PC? I want to use my PC as my training tool and be totally independent of the UNIX machine until I become more familiar with Oracle. I need to learn DBA functions and also be able to create a database and the forms and reports that go with it. In other words, to just play and learn but all on my PC. I know how to write SQL from writing INFORMIX reports and forms but I need to know what I need for my PC to do all of this with Oracle.

It sounds like you need to install the Oracle database server and Developer/2000 on your PC.

If you need a version to learn on.. I'd suggest buying this book. "A Guide to Oracle8" by Morrison & Morrison ISBN 0-619-00027-9. It comes with a copy of the Oracle server and developer 2000 for pc's. It usually costs about $60 and can be found at most book stores. Make sure it comes with the software though.. some copies of the book do not. I'm not sure if those copies have the same ISBN or not. This is probably the cheapest way to get your hands on oracle though.

Also.. if you are running Windows ME.. forget it. Oracle does not support it. There have been several attempts by others to fix this but all of them have had negative results. Good luck! -Dustin
Rom 8:28

Thank you Dustman!! This is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. I will look for the book right away.

If you are running NT and can't find the book Dustman recommended, you might try the Oracle8i for Windows NT Starter Kit from Oracle Press (ISBN 0-07-212248-X). It retails for $49.99, but I'm sure you can get a better price over the net at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.

It doesn't include Developer, but does include 8i Enterprise Edition and a series of tutorials that take you through Oracle features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back