Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More Details Here For My Video Capture Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatociego

Technical User
Dec 21, 2006
MX
The camera that I am trying to get video from is a JVC compact VHS Camcorder- and YES, it is a VIDEO camera.
There is no firewire cable connection. It has the super vhs connection and the two RCA outputs.
As mentioned, we connected to external player/recorder and produced a DVD disc that plays back fine on tv- using THAT DVD player only. MY playback unit (connected to tv) will not play it. The message says 'BAD DISC'.
When trying to play in my Samsung internal DVD player, Windows says it does not recognize this format. Nero says the same thing when trying to open.

At this point, I am assuming that I will, of course, need to spend $100+ on some sort of video capture card (?). If this is the only alternative, can you suggest a particular card? And if so, I guess I can rip out my existing UNNEEDED AIEE card and firewire setup (unused) and replace with the capture card????????

You have two main choices: convert the analogue output to FireWire using an external bridge device, or get a capture card that will accept analogue inputs.

One way of doing the conversion externally is to use a DV-in-capable DV camcorder to act as a bridge - many, but not all will do this (Sony call it passthrough).

I do not have any personal experience of external bridge devices, so won't comment on those.

You might pick up an older capture card that would work in your system from EBay. Pinnacle DV500 is the one with which I use and it works very well for getting analogue in ad out of the computer as well as FireWire.

BTW, please don't keep starting new threads for the same subject. Reply in the same thread so it is easier to scan the list of replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back