Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More book questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorganChai

Technical User
Sep 17, 2003
US
I am in the process of publishing several books (new pub company) so I bought all the right pgms; PM, Photoshop, Dreamweaver (website), you name it. But now I'm wondering just what in the heck I was thinking. I'm a Master at Word Perfect but these new pgms are slamming me. I couldn't even get the master pages set up right and my printer rep had me talk to their PM guru and she got it straightened out in 3 min over the phone. I can't even reconstruct her advice anywhere in 2 PM books. So I'm now admitting defeat and reaching out for help.
1. How to put a white paper box over a hdr and folios so they won't print. I can't find it in the books, but I know I read it somewhere.
2. Printers (svc providers) say not to combine italic and standard font styles, and to use instead the italic version of the font. But if I have a para italicized and separated from the body of normal text with two blank lines then will it matter? It took me two weeks to decide on a great font but to my shock, I don't know if it's TT or PS and it doesn't have a separate Italic font. It goes from Word Perfect to PM without substituting. It's Palatine Linotype, any suggestions?
3. I want to combine all chapters of a book into one doc so I have 3 docs to combine into the book (distiller/PDF) as opposed to 23 docs. I've already done it and PM handles it perfectly, thanks to a new super computer, but how do I link the text blocks? Experimenting, I've only put all chapters into one doc/text block so far.
And thanks everyone for all your help. You're great, and so is this website!

Hi, MorganChai,

> 1. How to put a white paper box over a hdr and folios so they won't print.

Use the rectangle tool to draw a rectangle (hold shift to draw a square) over the header.
Hit Ctrl+U.
Choose Fill = solid, Colour = paper, tint = 100%, Stroke = none, Colour = none and click OK.

Note the rectangle is now all but invisible. Drag it to the desired position over the header. To cover the text you may have to click "Bring to Front" (Shift+Ctrl+])

> > it doesn't have a separate Italic font.

Your SB is correct; you need both fonts.

> > Palatine Linotype

Do you mean "Palatino-Linotype"?
see:
> > how do I link the text blocks?

It's harder to describe than to do, but it's essentially cut'n'paste with the text tool, and then reflow the text. Play safe and save before trying anything you're uncertain with as PM has no "undo" facility to speak of.

Best of luck with your projects.

Iechyd da! John
00:18 23/10/2003 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back