Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monthly backup Labeling Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2003
US
I have a backup server running 11d. Attached to it are three libraries - all Dell - 2, ML6000's and a PV132T.

I am going to run monthly backups which will be kept offsite. I need around 60 tapes to do this. My question is, how do I label them?

With the barcode labels provided and then relabel them after they are inventoried?

With some other barcode, if available?

My worry is that, I could use , say barcode label #1 three times and then relabel the tape - Novemeber Monthly #1 (or something to that effect) but will backup exec be okay with that?

When you relabel a tape (using BE) it overwrites the tape contents, so it's not a good idea to do this after the backup!
I'd be inclined to either barcode everything and just make sure you don't duplicate them, or remove the barcode before BE sees the tape, label the media, then backup to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back