Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring User Activity In Netware 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtacoach

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2003
US
Hello,

I am brand new to Netware. I have Netware 6 with SP2 running 17 workstations. Is there any log file or report I can run that will tell me when my users log in or out on a daily basis? I haven't been able to find anything through Novell's site or documentation.

Thanks!

Hi you may want to try this, type load monitor on your console. from here you can check the status connection of your users.

Noel - ITS/ Sys & Net Admin
CATSRI,CATSE,CNS6.5

Hi nlee,
Thanks for the response. I have checked monitor already, but all that it gives me is how long the connection has been connected-unless I missed somthing.

What I am looking for is to have the ability to see when users logged on and when they have logged off. I would think Netware would have somthing to where I can monitor users log in and log out times and to compare those times to what they input on their timesheet.

Again thanks for your help!

Turn on Netware auditing. In previous versions of Netware, it was done via Auditcon. In Netware 6, you need to install/enable NAAS (Novell Advanced Auditing Service).

Novell has some links on their web site that reference TIDs for NAAS:

NAAS Quick Start Guide - TID 10067500
Guide to Auditing with NAAS - TID 10067501
NAAS Tips and Tricks - TID 10070416

Plus there is a documentation link to the Installation and Administration Guide. See TID "NAAS Tree-Level Deployment - TID10077702"

It's a bit more to set up than Auditcon, but it will get you what you need to track on the login/logout activity.

Hope that helps!

Gromit

Welcome jtacoach.
Thanks for the response gromit01904.

Noel - ITS/ Sys & Net Admin
CATSRI,CATSE,CNS6.5

Hi jtacoach -

Just to add to gromit's post, there are also 3rd party add-on's (most free) that will also accomplish your goal. If you search Novell's site (usually the Cool Solutions Area) you'll find quite a few.

If your looking for a quick way to check on their "Punch-In Time" you can look at ConsoleOne - User ---> Properties ---> Restrictions ---> Login Restrictions
... it will display when the user last logged in. Might be 1/2 helpful if you don't have the auditing/3rd party products.

Good Luck.

I am using a third party product that works well. It is by Visual Click Software and is called DSMETER. It has a wide range of reporting capabilities. Their support is great. Their web site is Good Luck.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

Gromit: Do you have NAAS setup? I looked into setting that up, and it didn't seem as bad as I thought.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back