Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamedTech

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2005
GB
Hi Chapps,

After a piece of free software that will monitor and/or record my servers performance ... i.e. processor .. NIC traffic and things like that.

The softwrae must NOT re-boot the server after install if possible as i cant afford downtime ... but if its a nececity then i have no choice.

Can you reccomend any?

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks pal ... I'm using windoes Server 2000 so dont have a built in utility! ... i will check out your reccomendation.

Ta,

Rob

Your reccomended product seems to do everything i need at the moment .. monitors my network traffic and CPU and memory usage.

I will attempt an install tommorow ... has nybody else got a reccomened alternative?

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks guys .. i got a freebie from download.com that does the trick ... ran it and as suspected the memory, disk and page file readings were all pretty high ... give me a start.

We are re-cabling the office and replacing the switches to start with .. then moving onto a server upgrade.

Many Thanks,

Rob

Hi TamedTech,

Can you tell me what freebie from download.com that does the trick for you?

Many thanks!

My current employeer uses NetIQ (it's a pay product).
A previous employeer used Big Brother and IPSentry. I'm not sure if they are pay or free or open sourse.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I will dig the names out and let you know .. they were nothing fancy but monitored all the basic elements, CPU, Memory, Page File and the network traffic.

When looking round i found it hard to find software that was designed for single server environments or small office networks ... all the pay=per stuff seemed to be for much bigger set-up's

I will keep you guys posted in the next day or so with the app i used.

Rob

>TamedTech (IS/IT--Management) 31 Aug 05 6:36:
>
>Thanks pal ... I'm using windoes Server 2000 so dont have >a built in utility! ... i will check out your >reccomendation.
>
>Ta,
>
>Rob
>

Win 2000 does have perfmon.
Have you actually tried Start->Run->perfmon ??

Hi Nick ... i havnt tried perfmon ... but its good to know that it is there.

This is a pertty old tread now thats sprung back into life, i have used the 3rd party stuff to assess the issues.

I will look into perfmon though.

Thanks, Rob

I know, just thought I add the comment. I think permon is pretty good. It measures hundreds of aspects within your system.
However, for detailed network analysis, I've been told Ethereal is THE tool.

I will have a look at perform some time over the next week or so i think ... is the version in Server 2003 the same as the 2000 edition?

I will also have a look at Ethereal ... but like i say the lergest issue i have had with all of the major brand monitoring software is that they are designed for huge server mainframes and things like that.

I will keep my eye's peel and let you know if anything comes up trumps.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back