Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring size of databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkal

Programmer
Jun 24, 2003
US
I've written the following script to get the size, usedSpace and freeSpace of my databases. However, the results don't always match what SQL Management Studio (2005) shows. I'm sure I'm not taking something into account and any help would be appreciated.

if object_id('[tempdb].[dbo].[#databaseStats]') is null
create table #databaseStats (dbName varchar(50), TotalSizeMB decimal(15,2), SpaceUsedMB decimal(15,2), FreeSpaceMB decimal(15,2), FileName varchar(100))
else
truncate table #databaseStats;

exec sp_msforeachdb
'use [?];
insert #databaseStats
select
db_name(),
round(convert( decimal(10,2), size) * 8192.0/1048576.0, 2) as TotalSizeMB,
round(convert(decimal(10,2), fileproperty(name,''SpaceUsed'')) * 8192.0/1048576.0, 2) as SpaceUsedMB,
round(convert( decimal(10,2), size) * 8192.0/1048576.0 - convert(decimal(10,2), fileproperty(name,''SpaceUsed'')) * 8192.0/1048576.0, 2) as FreeSpaceMB,
name
from sys.sysfiles;'

select * from #databaseStats order by dbName;
select dbName, sum(TotalSizeMB) AS Size, sum(SpaceUsedMB) as Used, sum(FreeSpaceMB) as SpaceAvailable from #databaseStats group by dbName;

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back