Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring "Bad" Program usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

baldhead

Technical User
Apr 27, 2004
US
Is there a way to monitor and report the bad/malicious programs which have been used? I have a list of the programs which are ok for the users to run. I want to be able to bring up reports of any software that is used which isn't on this "good" program list. What must you do to accomplish this? I'm guessing it's a mixture of software inventory and product compliance but need more direction.

thanks

Well, if you knew what you didnt want on your network it would be easy to query for those programs, ultimately you could also create a gpo that prevented those programs from running...in theory anyway :-D

or simpler, would be to create a GPO that let ONLY the ones you wanted to run be run.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant
HND, BSc HONS, CCNA, BCS, IETF, DMTF

when running software metering is there a way to setup all the programs I want to run within software metering and then run a report that says: show me all the programs which have been run that aren't in my list of metered programs? Is this possible or does it go against the metering principle?

Here is the situation I'm in guys. a lot of programs require users to be local admins due to how old they are and that we're working within windows. because of this they can end up running many other programs or installing programs outside of my knowlegdge. I know I could setup a GPO that would only allow them to run certain applications (which I may work on) but I would like to know if what I've described above would be possible?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back