Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring Outgoing Email 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCoolHandle

Programmer
Apr 10, 2003
US
Hi.

First I am not an exchange person, I just set up the occasional mail box (by adding the person to the domain)

So.. yesterday I was adding a couple of accounts to the domain for one of my clients (I build websites). They shared a story about a situation they had a few months ago where an employee scavanged their client list and emailed them to herself before leaving the company.

So...(and here is the question) They wanted to know if their was any way they could monitor what their employee(s) was/were emailing and flag suspicious activities.

Is this possible to do on the server (exchange)? Can it be done from outlook (like an automatic BCC), or is a keyboard logger required?

Any thoughts/ideas VERY welcome.

TIA

Rob

You could enable journaling and give management access to the journal mailbox. But if the company is more than a few dozen people, this isn't the best solution. In Exchange 2007 and later, transport rules would work great to build an ethical wall.

Short of that, you can use some content monitoring solutions in the cloud to try and catch them. But if you allow users access to web email sites like Hotmail and Gmail, you're SOL.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Thanks, I think I like that solution. I had managed to get outlook to BCC an account by adding code to the ThisOutlookSessoin code module, but it is definatly better if it can be monitored via exchange (the company is small - only about 20 people.)

Rob

Journaling would work here, but you need to make sure that you don't just set it up and forget it, or that journal mailbox will get huge. Quick.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

We have 1500 Exchange users here on 3 Mailstores and I use Journaling (Archive all messages sent or received by mailboxes on this store) to capture all messages to another mailbox as suggested above.

I then have a Powershell script that runs every few hours to archive these messages to a PST file to stop the mailbox getting too full. The script also renames the file at the end of the day so I have 1 PST file for every day.

The only problem is storage for the PST files as they are between 4-5GB a day for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back