Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

monitoring Emails and Network usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTK1008

MIS
Oct 25, 2006
US
Hi, I do not post often, so sorry if this is not the correct forum. I work for a fairly large company that has mostly windows 2000 pro clients with some windows xp, we also have Active directory and Netware, most clients do not belong to the domain. We also use groupwise for emails. what we are looking for is software to monitor emails, but also to monitor network usage for both the novell servers, and the window servers and window computers. I have found a lot of different software out there, but what I am looking for are some suggestions from some other admins and what you might have used that seems to work well.

As for network monitoring if you mean network utilization check out What do you mean by monitor email?? Do you mean email filter software scan for questionable attachments and verbage?? If so try mimesweeper.

good luck

Thanks, i was not fully clear we do have tools for network utilization/performence already. I am looking more of a way to see who is accessing what folders or files and when. To see if someone who knows the administrator password is looking at files they should not be, or just a way to see the last 20 people who accessed a folder or directory.
For email you are on the right track, but also for security we want to be able to check for things like SS#'s or specific information that we do not want exchanged both outside the company and inside the company in the same post office for groupwise.

mtk1008 said:
For email you are on the right track, but also for security we want to be able to check for things like SS#'s or specific information that we do not want exchanged both outside the company and inside the company in the same post office for groupwise.

check with your legal department before going down this path

For email, take a look at the Ironmail appliance from Securecomputing.

Systems Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back