Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring Cisco Routers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordanpw

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2004
US
Need to be able to monitor several routers via a centralized monitroing software system. Have used GFI Network Server Monitor for servers, Windows-type queries and basic connectvity monitoring. It can do SNMP GET queries - but need some help identifying critical OIDs for it. Can anyone suggest a good resource for this? Or have any suggestions on better software for monitoring Cisco devices? Anyone used Servers Alive?

You may want to check out NetIQ - I haven't deployed this yet to my routers, but it may do what you are looking to do.

~Intruder~

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

NetIQ is great - have used it in past jobs where they were enterprise environments. For our current situation though, it's just too pricy - hence looking at Servers Alive and NSM and similar.

Both NSM and SA can do SNMP GET queries. My main thing right now is trying to get a quick / easy reference for some of the most common / critical OIDs for Cisco routers in the 1700,2600, 3600 series. Any thoughts on that?

why not use Cisco's CiscoWorks software. We have been using it for sometime and it works great. It even allows you to actually view a router or switch as if you were standing right in front of it to see what ports are being used. Of course, the are command line ways of accomplishing the same thing but it is a nice feature...

Thanks for the reply.

Have always heard Cisco Works is pretty cool - but my deal is we're going to be using a 'central' monitoring system that is going to get info. from servers and all the Cisco devices. So really what I'm after is just a good reference for OIDs for the routers we have in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back