Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring CISCO and Network Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

krsnavan

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2008
AE

What kind of Software and tools the industry uses to monitor network Traffic?

There are Open Source Software tools too in the Industry.Any body using those?

Can we monitor abnormal traffic generated in the network in order to isolate the problems, for ex. traffic generated because of a virus in a PC Or interface short circuit in a Netwrik device.

How are people using SNMP monitoring techniques ?

Vanna

I know a lot of places that are running Nagios (open source) and it works very well for them. I myself haven't used it but I've heard that if you don't have some in-house expertise, it could be difficult.

There are many commercial packages out there, although the prices can be very expensive.
Take a look at SolarWinds, alot of capabilities, no alot of money.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Solarwinds or stuff from Kiwi are probably a couple of the more well known ones. Ciscoworks from cisco is just too pricey and have never been impressed with it , have to many problems with it running config change jobs etc....

I have tried JFFNMS (jffnms.org) and Nagios among others. I've found that JFFNMS allows for a LOT more data than Nagios. On the other hand, Nagios is better if all you want is a simple "Up/Down" or "Red/Green" Status.

don't forget MRTG and netflow tools. I spent way too much time trying to get the open source netflow tools to work with the any sort of graphical interface.

Thanx Techies !

Which tools perfectly suits to monitor the traffic during abnormal condition ( for example Virus Infection or Intrution kind of activity) than to monitor just interface or link failure.And it should create Alert as well.

Vanna

I use Orion made by solarwinds for commercial clients, but have used Cacti for smaller organizations. I have also used opennms for up/down status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back