Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor with built in trackball & keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sympology

MIS
Jan 6, 2004
GB
This seems to be a long shot (can't seem to find one).
I'm after an all-in-one monitor, Keyboard and mouse/trackball/glidepad but not an all in one PC, but I want a small one (about 7")
Getting 17" ones for rack mounting is easy, but I want a small (driverless) screen I can carry around to hook into pc's / servers.
Touchscreen ones are everywhere, but they need drivers to get them working.
The main reason is to get onto pc's where we don't have the kit hooked into them (the are running wall display's etc).

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

KVM Console to USB 2.0 Portable Laptop Crash Cart Adapter

The NOTECONS01 KVM Console to USB 2.0 Portable Laptop Crash Cart Adapter turns your notebook or netbook into a portable server crashcart, eliminating the need to lug around a large, heavy and awkward video screen, keyboard, and mouse

Can't you just use a laptop with a docking station? Leave separate docking stations on all the servers.

Laptops are a lot cheaper than those integrated monitors. All you need to do is remote into the servers using Windows Remote or VNC (if it is linux)

I'm actually making my own, because 400+ is way too much for something that should cost 200 tops. Took an old IBM thinkpad A31, removed all of the hardware, so just a shell, with the display. Went on Ebay, found a guy that would sell you a display driver card, if you send him the LCD model number. They have VGA/DVI outputs. Run about 50-60 US. Coming from Asia so still on the boat. Like this And adding an ultranav keyboard / mouse combo like This. And adding an active PS/2 to USB adapter to cover the bases. And it will all fit in my laptop case. The reason I went with the ultranav and the IBM A31 is htey should fit together pretty well, and hopefully the screws will line up, I'll let you know when I get it next week. The ps/2 to usb active signal converter I am using is here.

Triton,
looked at that before, but still not great. For starters I have a 17" laptop! But even if I had a netbook, still have to carry the device along and hang ah it dangling around. That said, I may still consider it using a 7" tablet.
The main reasoning is the $%^&* PC's we use driving our video walls. As you can guess they are often situated in stupid places and are PITA to get to. Also soem of the kit I work on, when doing likes of firmware flashes, are in racks that are difficult to get extra space for other kit on....but it's still an option.
rclarke...
I'm also looking now at a build your own.
I think I'll try to get a 7" screen (without touch) and hook it into a case with a built in keyboard, similar to what I have attached to my droid tablet. I guess I may have to live without a built in mouse though. No big deal.
If I do find the ideal thing, I'll post back so others can see what I did.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

something cheaper might be a Pocket Projector, and a Mini Keyboard (with a built in touch pad)

(ie. Optoma pico maybe.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back