Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor will not turnoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

borisdaspider

Technical User
Jun 12, 2007
GB
Hi all, when my computer shuts down I am unable to switch my monitor off. Instead the monitor flashes various colours.

Please help. Thanks.

Do you mean that the monitor will not go into standby?
What make & model is it? Does it have a switch on the front? If so use that.

hey,

its a dell lcd monitor sorry dont know model ill find it later when get home. It wont switch off by the button when i turn my computer off. I have to turn the monitor off prior to the computer shutting down and if I forget I have to turn the comp back on again then select shutdown and turn monitor off before the comp shuts down. If I dont then I get the problem I mentioned earlier.

Its only recently begun to do this after the computer shut itself down one day.

Try uninstalling the driver then rebooting. the OS will automatically recognize and reinstall the driver.........its a start.

"You could dream a little dream or you could live a little dream. I'd rather live it, cuz dreamers always chase but never get it" -Aesop Rock

If that does not work and the computer is still under warranty, rma it. As it sounds like something is defected.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I have the exact same problem with an Acer 17" monitor. Have to turn it off before the computer shuts down. About once a week I forget and have to pull the power cord. Acer ignored my email so I am writing it off as a factory defect and not buying that brand any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back