Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor vs tv screen color issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbeazzo

Technical User
May 29, 2005
US
Hello, I am an amateur filmmaker who is using premiere pro for a project, and am having some difficulty with color settings. I have a number of filters on my final video in an attempt to make it look more like film. I have turned down the saturation a lot, and I have turned down the gamma slightly. I have also added a slight green tint to the whole project. The problem is this. When I burn my film onto a dvd, it displays on the television very differently than it does on my computer monitor. The tint is not recognizable whatsoever, and the low saturation is barely noticable. It looks as though there had been no motifications to the footage at all. I have read up on it a bit, and have tried to use the broadcast colors filter, on both luminance and saturation, with very little effects. I'm aware of the limitations of the NTSC colors on the television, but I'm sure there's a way to correct this and have my footage look the way I intended when displayed on tv. I had previously uploaded via usb, the video quality was poor, but i never had any problems with the filters displaying correctly on tv. Now i upload via firewire/dv. I don't know if that's significant or not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

victor

Well, the trouble, near as I can tell, is that monitors are not nearly as crappy as TVs.

And that's just that.

I think you may have to just decide if you expect people to see your work on TVs or monitors and target accordingly.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back