Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor users network usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

stompin

Technical User
Jun 28, 2004
GB
Hi all - I am trying to find an app (freeware/shareware/demo) that can monitor users network usage so I can determine who is downloading what and therefore find out who is downloading the most. I can't find such an app on the internet so was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction.

Thanx

Ok Stompin...

Sounds like implementing some kind of proxy server would be an idea - ISA 2004 provides the features you require but is costly:

On the other hand a much more basic (free) tool is Etherreel:

Works as a packet sniffer - detects multiple interfaces, can produce reports etc, much less iniutaive UI tho

HTH

Chris

ChrisCj21
MCSE, A+, N+

I'm actually using Ethereal at the mo but the GUI and resulting info is pretty complex.

Thanx for the info

Ok Stompin:

I agree, the info that is displayed in ether-real is hardly straight forward...I have an XP Pro machine with 3 interfaces and two vpn's terminating, let me tell u - it can get a bit confusing.

There are filtering options withing Etherreal to make output more readable.

Unfortunately, I suppose you get what you pay for :(

Chris

ChrisCj21
MCSE, A+, N+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back