Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor turns off after reboot & does not come back 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabz

Programmer
Jan 9, 2002
US
I have just built my self a new computer and everything works fine except when I reboot(restart) the computer the monitor turns off and does not come back on. To get the screen back up I have to turn the computer all the way off and then turn it back on. I dont know if this is a video issue or what but its bugging me. Please help.

I have the Radeon 8500 128mb video card in there if that helps.
Thanks in advance

This might be an acpci issue or something to do with an energy saving setting on the monitor itself. I have a monitor that will blank out and then turn back on every time I reboot. Check the monitor and the BIOS settings. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

It's a monitor issue in interpreting the signal sent by the computer. I have one that does the same thing, and on several computers from 386 to Pentium to AMD. Junk heap fodder.

??, well I'm stuck because the monitor is brand new and I have another one set up on another computer here in the office and it works fine. And as far as checking the bios I did and everything looks alright in there....help!!!!, thanks for your help though, I will try plugging in another monitor and see if that fixes the problem.

When you restart, the monitor does not display. However, does the system boot with no signal to monitor, or does it not boot altogether? If it is simply not booting, and therefore your monitor does not get signal then everybody is pointing in the wrong direction.

At that point, you would look for hardware that is not resetting properly (or timely) and as such, is keeping the system from starting back up. ----------------------------------------
Groucho Marx said it best...
"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five."

Jabz,

you ever try to boot to safe mode/VGA mode first to see if your setting are too high for your monitor ?

Yes I did try booting in vga mode and even lowered the settings in normal mode, it still does the same thing. As far as it booting when it restarts it seems to be its not just shutting off. Is there anyway it could be the video card or would that not be it at all. ???

I am having a problem very similar to this.

I start with the system off. When I power it up (starting from the toggle at the back of the system then the power button on the front), I can hear and see all of my devices starting up (CD drives are detected and spin up, HD is detected - all seen by their respective LED's) but I get no signal to the monitor.

The weird part is, if I keep toggling the rear power switch off and then pressing the power button, I will eventually (after about 30 to 40 tries) get the system to boot and give me a proper display. From this point, everything works great. If I just use the reset option in Windows 2000, everything boots normally. I only seem to have this trouble when starting the system up cold.

I have 2 HD's, 1 CD reader and 1 CD writer. A new AMD 1900 processor and an ASUS A7S333 mobo. My video card is a new G-force 3 128MB.

Sorry to go on so long, but if I can get any help for this, I didn't want there to be any confusion over the symptoms.

Thanks.

like Berton said, it will your monitor that can't read a certain size your video card trying to send out, not necessary too high,

i ran across with an integrated video card on a IBM system sending out 640x480 to my TFT monitor, once i turn it up a bit higher like 800, then it was fine

But if that was the case Hungster, why will it boot up after I turn it off all the way and then turn it back on again?

I understand what you guys are saying but I dont understand how I could fix it, should I lower my resolution or my colors or both??

if you don't have a second monitor, bring your box to your friend who has a different brand name model monitor and try it out you will see what i mean

When you get it to work try looking at the windows display options and see if you can turn off some of that green energy saving junk and see if that helps. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Another thing in the BIOS is Hybernation settings. Turn that off. Ive found it to be a pain in the neck. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Would that cause the monitor to start occasionally but receive no display the other 98% of the time? This is really peeving me. If it didn't work at all, I could understand. It's this sporadic nonsense that I find troubling.

If this is the case, how would I go about resetting the default display on the video card? ...or should this be looked at from the "replace the monitor" point of view?

Regarding Hungster's post the employee here in the office I was referring to in an earlier post, has the same monitor as I do with the same settings, and it works fine. but I will try replacing it with someones monitor.

I don't think it's a monitor problem at all. I think it's the video card.
Swap in a known-good one and prove me wrong. [bigcheeks]

I agree with crsic but before you swap the card,
try reinstalling the drivers.you can get the latest
ones from the ATI site. I had exactly the same problem
with an other Radion card and it was the driver.
Hope this helps
bbmdave

Yeah it does have tv-out, did you ever figure out the problem.

Hello Grief. What size power supply do you have? Your list of periphals and cpu would put you in the 450 watt area. Your power supply may be inadequate and causing your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back