Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

monitor switches on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2k1981

Programmer
Aug 2, 2002
IE
Hi all,

My friend recently inherited an old-ish PC and the monitor appears a little dodgy. When it's on for a while, it start to turn itself on and off. I told them to pull it a little away from the wall as I thought maybe the air wasn't circulating around it ... but to no avail. anybody any ideas what's going on? is it just on it's last legs or is there anything that can be done at all?

thanks in advance

Repair shop ,or get a new one .
Had this on a 2 year old 19" compaq monitor .
(think it was the powersaver/suspend electronics)

ya... get a new one... but seriously, first thing you should do is check to make sure the cables are hooked up nice and tight... i've seen two monitors that have done this and all they needed was a bit of cleaning of the video cable leads... plug it back in (tight!) and they worked fine...
i actually got my monitor doing this... work threw a "broken" monitor out.. i picked it up.. cleaned it up.. and it works fine... (it's a 1998, 17".. blech)

dont immediatly get a new one, first, cjeck that all the cables are plugged in, turn the power saviing features off on the monitor and in your os.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back