Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor: Shows tons of connections to my server. Is that right? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

michigan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2001
Hi everyone.

Running NW6 - noticed in Monitor --> Connections I have at least 75 entries to 'that' server. Each show as active. Each date stamp shows some have been active for many days, some are fewer, and others are only hours.

It seems like this connection list is growing, and growing, and . . . .

Is this right? Anything I need to be concerned with?

Thanks in advance.

Are the connections all users, other servers, or a combination? If users, do you see the same user showing up time after time? Is there an (*)before the name? How many licenses do you have?

To answer your question- yes, this is an issue that can cause you problems. I think that there is a TID at Novell on this, but I can't find it right off.

Hi Beaghler -

Those connections are not users, it's the actuall server. So for example, looking at the Monitor--> Connections it shows:

*FS1
*FS1
*FS1
*FS1

(. . . and it has now grown to over 100 entries, each showing *FS1)

If I highlight one of the connections, and look at details, some have been active for many days, while others have only been active for only a few hours or minutes.

For my users, Monitor-->Connections show only the typical 2 entries for each person/resource:

*Smith
Smith

This particular site has 50 licenses, with about 30 (according to ConsoleOne) licenses being used.

Thanks again.

The (*) means an authentication, not a real connection, and as such does not use a license. However, I am a little concerned that the server keeps building connections. What SP are you at? I've got SP2 on some of my servers and it seems fine. If you're not already there, that might be a place to start. Clearing connections should clean things up for a while. Check Novell's site for a solution, I think there is one.

Steve

elp!! Like Michigan, my connection list is alarmingly long after upgrading to Netware 6. In addition, License reports under NWAdmin say I'm using 87 licenses with 75 installed. I only have 64 actual users and have not added any since upgrading. I just noticed if I add a user, that user cannot retrieve Excel or Word files, getting the message they are read-only. I'm wondering if the Novell licence issue is part of the problem.

If anyone has some ideas on this phenomenon, I'd greatly appreciate some assistance. There seems to be no logical explanation for an increase in licences "used" since the upgrade.

Thanks, gillis

Gillis,
Do you have non NDPS printers installed as they will take up a licence. If you are using queue based printing to a queue based print server that may chew up a licence as well.

ludsy - yes, I do have a couple of printer issues to deal with; however, NWAdmin reports licenses Used as approx. 20 more than total possible User objects and I only have 3-4 printers using up licenses. So something else appears to be happening as well.
Thanks for your interest - if you or anyone has ideas, I'd be grateful.

gillis

Hi everyone - just an update.

My connections (server connections with *FS1) have now grown to well over 200.

Still under 30 true users connected/authenticated/licenses used.

Can not find no information on Novell's web site re: this issue. Not sure what's going on.

I haven't found anything that makes sense in the monitor screen in nw6 for active connections. Disreqard it.

The best place I have found to monitor this is in iManage. With SP2 if iManage shows that you have duplicate connections you probably have SP2 which in this case you need to backrev the nlslsp.nlm module to the cd or if you selected the backup during service packing can be found under system\backsp2... once backrevd. either reboot or just unload nlslsp it will re-load and connections will correct themselves. Jeff

There is a TID about multiple connections after applying sp2. Back rev nlslsp.nlm to original or sp1. Lee Smith
Associated Network Services
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back