Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor Settings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggggus

Programmer
Jul 5, 2003
I installed Debian using floppies and network only...and it worked well...except I screwed up on the monitor settings during the install....and now I can't figure out how to correct them.

The install was done on a Compaq presario 1700T laptop, which I'm using at the moment, but I somehow limited the lcd to 800x600.

I edited the XF86Config-4 file and added "1024x768" to all the lines under monitor settings that listed "800x600" already. But still Gnome limits me to 800x600 resolution.

How do I fix this? 1024x768 is small to me, but I live with it on older laptops, 800x600 is killing me, please help.

J. Jacobs

It's not the monitor secrion that you needed to alter.
It's the "Screen" section.
In there you should see a line that says something like:
Modes "800x600" "640x480"
Change that to read:
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
Then re-start X.
If your monitor config can support 1024x768 then that is what you'll get. If not, then you need to look at the horizontal sync and vertical refresh lines in the Monitor section.

Trojan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back