Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor Server Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

inforeqd

Technical User
Jan 8, 2001
US
I have been looking on the web for some examples but haven't found anything to my liking. What I would like to build is a combination of CGI and perl. Basically, what I need it to do is just run a ping using cron. Then report back via a webpage if a server is up or down. As an addition to this, I was thinking of maybe trying to put in some historical items such as "server was up x and down y"

Has anyone done something like this?? If so could you share your experience or for that matter just some ideas on the best way that you all may feel this should be handled.

Thanks
info

not sure what kind of systems environment you work in, but our sysadmin uses a product called webmin which seems like it covers the entire spectrum of which you have just started to scratch the surface off.

see here
Code what you mean,
and mean what you code!
But by all means post your code!

Razalas

I just don't find using php for the server side of things very useful. It's great for the web front end to my code, but I do all of my data gather/processing, etc in perl write it to a db.

if you want to know what's popular and what isn't :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those who say it cannot be done are usually interrupted by someone else doing it; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

Perl and CGI will do it, just fine and very competently. I'd do it as two applications. One would be command line driven and called by the cron job. It would simple write its results to a file or DB. The second would simply be a web 'view' of the data that has been written by the first app.

The web view app could be CGI or javascript or PHP or whatever. You would just need some language that can read the data and render and web page.

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back